Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Can someone please check my math for me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

I know you have lots of experience with this particular scope and what you're saying is very truthful. I have no doubt I would not be able to do my own spotting. Might as well forget it if I was to be by my self. Thanks for the comments I appreciate them.
We'll let you know.;)

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Unread 03-22-2008, 04:34 PM
What if you sighted that NF in 8 MOA high at 100? You could shoot further without dialing.
Unread 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I had other plans today but I got confused with all the math so went shooting this afternoon and put some theory to the test. I think me and Eaglet agree with using dialing in more moa on of the hash marks. Though I think if you convert all the hash marks to inches at 100 and then go from that you will arrive at the same conclusion. For me I think I will just figure out where my hash marks are at in moa then divide the difference by .26 get to get my click value. A little extra work, but once I get a spread sheet figured out it won't matter much.

And oh by the way for my range test I was shooting clay pigeons at 340, on the third hash with 4 clicks elevation. I was shooting in a bit of a cross wind which hurt my windage but my elevation was spot on at that range. Which means this gun is shooting a little flatter then what my drop chart says it should be. I need to borrow a chrono from a buddy though, once I know what my speed is for sure then I will rejigger my chart. Though was awfully cool to see those pigeons go down when you could barely see them with the naked eye.

Anyway I need to let my brain cool down, thanks for the advice and I will probably be back with a bunch more questions later.

Unread 03-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member
Another way to do it is to use the reticle itself. If it were me and i had a 450 yd. shot here's how i'd do it. I know that the shot is between the 3rd and 4th stadia @

3) 7.2 MOA

4) 10.5 MOA

...that means there's 3.3 MOA space between stadia (what i refer to as a "subtension unit"), and 8.85 MOA is 1.65 MOA more than the 3rd stadia (8.85-7.2 = 1.65). So just divide 1.65 by the total "subtension unit" you're working with (3.3) and u get 0.5. Now your hold would be 3.5 (3rd stadia down and .5 further down to the 4th).

Believe me when i say that an interpolative system of guessing tenths of a subtension unit can be accurately referenced. I've already seen this 1st hand when my wife and my mother used the system for their 425 yd. gps. they shot with an AR by referencing between stadia. It's also the same system that the mil-dot guys use when they're ranging with their reticle.

Before u use this system tho, it's a good idea to measure the reticle subtensions as accurately as possible. It wouldn't be the 1st time i've seen ballistic reticles that weren't accurate--especially with the advertised plex post tip subtensions. Mine are quite a bit different than advertised.

What i usually do is use reticle to it's subtension limit, then turret beyond that using the lowest reticle stadia as my zero reference. This usually gives me all the accuracy i need with the reticle then more accurate turret reference beyond that range. Be sure and verify the lowest stadia's zero tho. If that's not accurate then the turrets certainly won't be either.

Last edited by sscoyote; 03-22-2008 at 09:30 PM.