Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Camera for long range video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Re: Camera for long range video

Video cameras shoot at a max resolution of 1920px X 1080px so most dslr cameras down sample the image. If you have a camera and take a picture and zoom in and it is sharp that is one thing, IT IS NOT THE SAME AS VIDEO. Unfortunately there is no cheap way to get there from here. I have a nikon d800 which is a full frame dslr for stills and video Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 25480 B&H Photo Video about $3000 which will shoot hd video but your big investment is the glass. Think about what a good spotting scope goes for a good large telephoto like nikon or cannon 500mm fixed 2.8 is $8000-$10000.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR AF Lens 2173 B&H Photo Video

I would recommend finding a spotting scope your camera can mount to. I believe this is how they shoot most of the long range stuff. A telephoto that large is very expensive and has limited use.

If it was me I would get a
-Panasonic lumix GH3 $1000 +/-
-a novoflex adapter for nikon or cannon glass $350+/-
- buy a good spotting scope with a lens mount attachment

or

- I would search ebay for used manual telephotos (you don't want auto focus anyway)
-you can get a doubler which will double your magnification but low light performance will suffer

I shoot video and stills for a living if you want more description and advice pm me