Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Camera for long range video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Camera for long range video

Thanks everybody.

I currently have an iPhone 4. I really like it. I'd be really just buying the camera to use with the spotter to make videos. You know, blowing up gophers, crows, target shooting at long range, just fun stuff like that.

I never bought the Swaro TLS 800 with plans of doing photography. I bought my spotter used and the guy threw in the TLS 800 for free because he had no use for it.

Could I get just as good of results with my 20-60X eye piece and the iphone 5s and adapter? I don't wanna Mickey Mouse it, but I understand the iPhone 5s had a 13mp camera and it's almost time for a new phone anyways

Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

I checked out the phoneskope product. It looks good.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

These stills are taken with my Olympus SP-570UZ. It will take video, but never tried it. The distance is at least 1/2 mile. The picture of the blue grossbeak was at about 75 yds. at maximum of 20x.

joseph
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Camera for long range video-p7230023.jpg   Camera for long range video-p7230024.jpg  

Camera for long range video-p7230025.jpg   Camera for long range video-blue-grosebeak.jpg  

Last edited by joseph; 09-05-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

I have a Nikon P520 that will do amazing things at long range and is pretty cheap as well. $399 or less on a sale. It has a 42 power optical zoom, 18.1 mega pixels, HD video, low light capability without using a flash and tons of menu options for folks that are smarter than I am. You can take pics of Deer/ Elk @ 2000 yds and count the points. I've taken pics of airliners going overhead at 35,000 FT. and 5 miles down range, zoom the camera in and read the name of the Airline!! You can take pics of your groups at 1000yds so you don't even have to bother to drive to the gong unless you need to paint it. I haven't played with the video much but it looks way better than my Sony!

This camera is a lot of bang for the buck!! ----- RHB
Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Incase you are interested in getting a Nikon P520 look at this review first:

joseph
Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Thanks guys,

I'm hoping to video my shooting at 800-1500yds. Been doing the shooting, just think it would be cool to show it.

Am not a professional by any means, just want to have some fun with it and show off in a humble way later on.

Thanks

Hi Eric,

You don't need to spend tons of cash to do what you want to do. I produce short films of me and my friends shooting mostly at ELR distances.

Here's what I use:
2 Panasonic Handycams: These are most likely no longer available and have
been replaced with newer models. I paid around $350.00 each.
HDC-SD80 (42x zoom)
HDC-SD60 (35x zoom)
Res: 1920x1280

Something like this would be fine:
Amazon.com: Panasonic HC-V520 HD Digital Camcorder with 80x Zoom and Wi-fi (Black): Camera & Photo

I use a GoPro H2 camera for some shots.

I also use my higher end Panasonic HPX-170 when I need 3 cameras which really isn't too often.

You'll need some type of video editing software as well. There are all kinds available and various prices. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.

I place two of my camera's down range. 1 is zoomed in to frame the target entirely. The other is framed to show the target as well as the misses. Usually zoomed out to where there is 15-20' of dirt showing the misses.

The other camera is positioned where the shooter is. Various camera angles make for a more interesting film. OTS (over the shoulder) shots show the shooters perspective. Angles from the side and front are also good. The more angles you have, the better editing will be.

Also, proper framing. Refer to the rule of thirds for example. Sorry to go off a bit here but I guess what I'm trying to convey is, it's not how much money you spend on gear but knowing how to get the most out of your equipment.

Here's a link to a few of my films that will give you an idea of what can be achieved with the gear listed above.

Long Range Shooting at 2300 Yards within AccurateShooter.com

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help out .

Good luck.

MDslammer
Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

A friend of mine has one of these and I second mdslammer for this one:

Amazon.com: Panasonic HC-V520 HD Digital Camcorder with 80x Zoom and Wi-fi (Black): Camera & Photo

joseph