Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

calibrated hold over reticles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: calibrated hold over reticles

Here is an easy to use reticule that are after market that can be added to Leupold scopes.
Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

you can use any type of reticle for hold over, I have a springfield gen 3 scope for the 308 win and shoot all the ranges to verify the impact points with my 375 tejas. crosshairs at 200 yds out to the 10 line at 1450 yds. I can then dial if i want to shoot out further I have used my leupold vx-3 3.5-10 with duplex reticle on max power. the upper heavy to fine junction set at 250 yds, crosshair at 350 yds and the lower junction at 450 yds on a 308 win.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

I have two Zeiss Conquests, one with Turrets and one with Z-600 reticle. I am very happy with the Z-600, but as with all things there is give and take. The spacing's are set, so you can't modify them for load or condition changes. The good news is that I have a spreadsheet where I compare the drops on my various loads to that of my z-600 and I have yet to be +/- over 2" out to 600 yards. For hunting, this is fine. I'm not off 2.0 moa, just 2". I was unaware you could get custom reticles from Leupold, but doubt I would spend the cash for drop lines, but might to add MOA windage lines for when I use my turret for drop adjustments. The best thing about the Zeiss Z-series reticle is the 5/10mps windage marks go with each seperate drop line so you are not guessing. For whay I've seen there is no way to adjust windage on the Nikon, Burris, or Leupold(except on their Varmit version).
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkondeff View Post
I have two Zeiss Conquests, one with Turrets and one with Z-600 reticle. I am very happy with the Z-600, but as with all things there is give and take. The spacing's are set, so you can't modify them for load or condition changes. The good news is that I have a spreadsheet where I compare the drops on my various loads to that of my z-600 and I have yet to be +/- over 2" out to 600 yards. For hunting, this is fine. I'm not off 2.0 moa, just 2". I was unaware you could get custom reticles from Leupold, but doubt I would spend the cash for drop lines, but might to add MOA windage lines for when I use my turret for drop adjustments. The best thing about the Zeiss Z-series reticle is the 5/10mps windage marks go with each seperate drop line so you are not guessing. For whay I've seen there is no way to adjust windage on the Nikon, Burris, or Leupold(except on their Varmit version).
On the Rapid Z's, since they are SFP, the reticle can be adjusted to your load by either raising or lowering your magnification. Zeiss has an exbal calculator available that you input your data into and it will tell you the power setting that will best match the reticle to the ballistics of your load. Of course the more you know about your load and the atmospheric conditions, the more accurate the calculator will be for you.

Here is the link for the calculator: Zeiss Web Login Form
Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Do not want to offend anyone but a 12 year old can use the MOA system with a little practice.

That way if anything changes such as elevation, bullet wt, velocity etc you just change the formula to determine what MOA at what range. Love it for wind drift!!!

Now that I have used this system for many years would hate to have to not use itů.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearfoot View Post
I am looking for a scope for a 264 win mag. I'd like to take a 300 yard zero then have hash marks at 4,5,6,7 and 800 yards. Do any of the scope manufacturers build reticles like this? What about a reticle based on actual measured drops?
If that's what you really want, give Premier a call. They'll do a reticle like that in their new 3-15 Hunter and it'll be FFP so it will work on any power.

***New Premier 3-15x50mm Hunter***