Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

calibrated hold over reticles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 PM

calibrated hold over reticles

I am looking for a scope for a 264 win mag. I'd like to take a 300 yard zero then have hash marks at 4,5,6,7 and 800 yards. Do any of the scope manufacturers build reticles like this? What about a reticle based on actual measured drops?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: calibrated hold over reticles

Leupold does custom ballistic reticles and TK Lee does dots on certain other scopes.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Gold Member

US Optics will let you design and build what you want, but its not cheap. I have a custom reticle in process with them now. "development" cost is $1,000, but they are cutting me a deal to have my custom reticle swapped into my other 5-25X TPAL scopes.

Jeffvn
Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

The Zeiss Rapid Z 800 is as close as you'll get on a factory scope. They have an online calculator to match your ballistics to your reticle by adjusting the magnification of the scope. I have a Conquest 4.5-14 on a 300 WSM that I use with different load combinations, and the Zeiss exbal calculator is spot on for each load.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

You can get custom reticles from the Leupold custom shop, specifically calibrated for your setup. But if you are anything like the rest of us, you will end up changing something on your rig, be it bullet, brass, primer, powder, rings etc. which will more than likely compromise the BCD values inside your scope, IMHO stick with the turrets, whether you go with mils or moa, at least you can swap out a turret fairly easy, it's not as easy to change reticles.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

My Dad has had great results with Nikon's BDC reticle. You can use their "Spot On" program to put in your load and info, and based on our results it works very well.

Nikon Spot On&#153 Ballistic Match Technology Program

Using this, if you change loads all you have to do is put new numbers in the program and it tells you the range for your reticle. Give it a try online.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Leupold will also do custom dials, (on Leupold scopes only). I think that's the way I'm going to go. If you ever decided to go with a different load or sell the scope you can put the original dial back on or order another dial for under $60. However, it's been about 4 months since I talked to Leupold and I don't remember whether or not you have to send the scope back for the new dial (s).