Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Bushnell 10 x 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2003, 01:57 PM

Bushnell 10 x 40

Just next dayed one of these in for a little range time over my Christmas holiday. Unwrapped it and set it on a base with Leupold rings to check tracking.
Tracks up and down great and tracks right fine, but, when I try to go left, it will only go 1 mil, then it stops. The knob continues to click, but the crosshairs do not move anymore. I can move the elevation up and down a couple of clicks and I can see it moving over to where it needs to be. Kinda weird because it stops right where it needs to be. Like it is a little stiff and when the elevation moves it lets it wiggle enough to go ahead and settle where it needs to.
Any clues, lol, I did not know I was going to have to *break in* a scope.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bushnell 10 x 40

This is a fairly common problem.

Let me quote this:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I also learned a new trick. With the scope in the rings, loosen the rings from the scope. Rotate it left and right. Watch the reticle center. If it swings back and forth in an arc, adjust the windage, and elevation knobs until you are rotating the scope, and the center of the scope stays centered, and does not arc. This is your natural mechanical zero. This technique is faster than 'counting clicks', and works well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This procedure will help you find the mechanical center of the scopes travel. Then you will know where you are with respect to the mounting of the scope.

Once you have it centered, then you need to bore sight it. This can be done by removing the bolt and looking alternately through the scope and the bore and getting the same picture for both.

Good luck.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]