Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Burris Xtreme vs Zeiss Conquest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Burris Xtreme vs Zeiss Conquest

Sometime late this summer or early fall I'll be looking to pick up a new scope for my latest project. This rifle will be a whitetail/backup elk gun for 500-700 yds. I was dead set on a 4.5x14x50 Conquest(I have 2 of the 6.5x.20) but lately the Burris Xtreme 3x12x50 has peeked my intrest.

I know the Burris has just been release but I was hopeing a dealer or somebody had gotten their hands on one and could provide a little insight or opinions on which might be the better choice.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 05-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Burris Xtreme vs Zeiss Conquest

winmagman: I noticed you have (2) 6.5-20 Conquests. I just purchased one and mounted on my Encore 22-250. On first trip to range I had alot of trouble seeing crosshairs on Z-plex on target at 100 yds.!!! I'm an old fart and eyes are far from perfect, but don't seem to have any trouble with my 3-9 or 4.5-14 Conquests. Have you noticed this with your 6.5-20's? Then again, you probably have younger eyes! Can't give you any feedback on the Burris Xtreme; will have to check my new Burris catalog. Must admit, I am considering Burris Signature Select with ballistic plex in view of above problem.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

I wonder why with all the reported trouble with Burris scopes, why anyone wants to take a chance? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Gold Member

What reported trouble?? I own burris scopes and they perform great! I've read a few bad posts on other sites about them but have read more positive ones.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

3sixbits,

What problems have you been hearing about?

I have used, and used the hell out of many Burris scope and have had great results. The only one I have ever had a problem with is my 6-24 Black Diamond if you can believe it but that was because it was mounted on my LAR 50 BMG for many years and just got worked loose from all the pounding.

I do not know how many shots that BD had taken but it has been alot and there have been some pretty serious impacts with the eyepiece from guys crawling up to close to the scope which I am sure contributed to some of the problem as it was the one piece eye piece/power adjuster that worked loose.

Sent it back to Burris and they tightened her up again but it did not go back on the BMG.

Other then that I have yet to have a problem with any Burris optic. I will say I do not think the new Signature Select scopes are as clear as the older Signatures or the new Black Diamonds but for the money they are still good scopes.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

I've read a number of post about poor response on warranty work from Burris. I would make darn sure that is not true before laying out one red cent for any scope that I buy! I don't know if I'm the only guy in the world that buys Leupold because of the warranty, but I suspect not. I have returned Leupold's over the years and never had a problem with them on a warranty. That does not say I think they are the best scopes, just there warranty is the best! I do know that this Zeiss Conquest I have, has vary good customer support. That I can attest to. I did recommend Burris to friends that did not have the money years ago for Leupold. I have stopped the practice since reading negative posts about the Black Diamond on this web-site. Perhaps a web search would be appropriate? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

No problem. I will give it a search and see. I have never needed any warranty work but did read an article about the complaints people had with their warrantys but it turned out that 75 percent that were sent back for repair were customer faults like overtightening rings crimping tubes or removing the posi lock cover when it was not equiped with a posi lock causing the nitrogen to leak out but the one that shocked me and blew my mind was 8 cases of turning the rings in with the scope bending the tube!! I will try to find the article ( if I still have that magazine ) and post it. I always like to get other opinions and share mine so thanks for yours!