Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Burris XTR rings slipping - help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Burris XTR rings slipping - help?

I have a set of six screw Burris XTR xtreme tactical ring on my custom .340 mounting a nightforce 5.5-22x56.

I have the upper ring halves evenly torqued to the recommended setting of 20 in/lbs.

Today while shooting from the bench the scope MOVED 1/8 BACK actually scratching the scope.

Do you have any recommendations? How high can I torque these rings? Do you think they need to be lapped?

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Burris XTR rings slipping - help?

I'd try lapping the rings.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Elk, I have been dealing with your same exact issue with a 338 Edge and NSX 5.5-22X. I even went as far as to send my NF back for a check up. I lapped the Burris XTR's to no luck. I explained my issue to Ken @ NF and he said I needed to use their rings. I didn't want to but I purchased the $150 or so rings and remounted my scope. The same thing happened and bullets were moving all over the place.

I know you shouldn't have to lap the NF rings but I did just to see if they were close to lining up. The scope moved again so then I lapped them thoroughly (75-80%) and they seem to be holding again.

I ran into the same problem with a 300 RUM and the Burris rings and my brother had NF rings on a 300 AX that didn't hold and he ended up lapping his to (all of the scopes were big NSX's).

It gets frustrating knowing you have a rifle that shoots well and not being able to put them where they need to be due to things moving.

I know many people have had good luck with the XTR's and even I have but on large caliber gun I'll be putting on the better stuff.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

I see the cartridges you are using, but is it also because of the weight of the scope?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I see the cartridges you are using, but is it also because of the weight of the scope?
I'd say yes, I have a smaller S&B that has held well in the XTR rings with the same rifle.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Here's some really bad advice:

On my 338 RUM, maxed out loads in heavy bullets, Burris Sig ring w/plastic inserts, I torqued the ring screws until the grooves on the wrench turned into threads (about a 3/4 twist). This is with a weavr 1" tactical, not nearly as heavy as the NF.

All of this was after I could not get other rings to hold and ruined a decent scope.

The scope has never slipped but the rear windage notches on the rear ring sheared so I went with double dove tail bases. Things are back to normal or better.

Again this is bad advice. I scoff at 20 inch pounds. But I learn the hard way.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, It's hard to imagine that with amount of bearing surface on the XTR or Nightforce rings your scope could slip. I Learn more every day, and hopefully some day I'll catch on!