Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Burris signature rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Burris signature rings?

one other question... does your scope have that "Posi-Lock" knob on it that locks the crosshairs? If it does... be sure it's loosened before zeroing the scope.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

My savage is a model 12 VLP, I've had it for a number of year and it's had the same scope on it since day one the rifle shoots great and when you adjust the windage or elevation it moves where it should. I was shooting my new steel plate for the first time the other week at 500yds and I was hitting the right hand side of the plate so I went to adjust the windage and had nothing left. I hate to mess with the rifle since it shoots so well, I just thought that the offset inserts may be a simple fix for the problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

No posi lock, but that would be something I would forget to do.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

To answer Bruce and Green, I haven't checked the barrel or bore alinement, or looked at the reciever or base holes. I suspect thats where my problem lies, the scope seems to be working fine. I have the rifle sighted in and have put around 500 rounds throught it over the years, it was just when I was shooting at 500yds that I wanted to adjust for the wind and couldn't.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

The higher you dial the elevation (for 500 yards, say), the less windage room you will have in your scope.

As the erector moves up to accommodate your longer distance shot, it moves to a narrower part of the scope tube (between 10 and 2 o'clock, say, rather than 9 and 3 o'clock). This might explain why you have enough windage at the 100 yard zero, but not enough at 500.

I wouldn't try to solve this problem with burris inserts... I would get a Redfield style (traditional) windage adjustable rear base and conventional rings. Center the windage on the scope by counting clicks to each extreme, then half back to center... then use the screws on the Redfield/Leupold style windage adjustable base to bring rough windage in line.

Finish up with fine tuning windage using the turret...

Dan
Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Gold Member

JMUPT , being you already have the burris rings and offset inserts I'd use them . I see no difference of trying to compensate for this with a offset ring bushing or an adjustable base . Jim
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Gold Member

Jim,

You could be right... but I was thinking he'd have more adjustment possibilities, since his windage is off, with the Redfield style base...

With the Burris eccentrics, he could put a +20 MOA insert on one side, and a -20 on the other... but that may not center the scope all that well, he may still end up dialing in a lot of windage to get it on target.

Anyway... that's what I was thinking, and why I suggested what I did.

The eccentric offset kit is around 20 dollars. I don't think he already has the eccentrics, just the original +/- 0 inserts.

Aesthetically, the rifle will look better as well with the Redfield base. With the offset Burris inserts, installed at 90 degrees from normal position, while it would work, it would leave the split between the inserts visible, at 12 o'clock on the rear ring.

Dan