Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Burris New Eliminator III with X96!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: Burris New Eliminator III with X96!!!

You make a very good point TXbodean. It's kind of like the whole Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. Different strokes for different folks. ZSteinle I have to agree for strictly hunting purposes there isn't anything faster for long shots.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Gold Member

Id love to have one but with my buget im going to have to wait till that technology cost 500 bucks instead of 1200!!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Gold Member

When a scope is available which can correctly measure and correct for downrange crosswinds I'll buy one. Until then it just makes doing the wind calculations more difficult than using visual wind estimation and the distance given by a hand held laser rangefinder.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
When a scope is available which can correctly measure and correct for downrange crosswinds I'll buy one. Until then it just makes doing the wind calculations more difficult than using visual wind estimation and the distance given by a hand held laser rangefinder.
I am not shire that I am understanding you. I don't see any difference between a s ops laser rangefinder and a hand held other than covenience. So how does that make it more difficult? I'm not arguing about your preference, I suspect anyone shoots better with what they personally are comfortable and trust.

TXBodean
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBodean View Post
I am not shire that I am understanding you. I don't see any difference between a s ops laser rangefinder and a hand held other than covenience. So how does that make it more difficult? I'm not arguing about your preference, I suspect anyone shoots better with what they personally are comfortable and trust.
From the Burris Eliminator III website:
"The X96 reticle provides a convenient and accurate METHOD to more easily compensate for wind. However, complete wind compensation is NOT fully automated within the scope. It still requires some thinking on the part of the shooter. In addition to distance, the digital display will show a 10 MPH Wind Value for your specific cartridge at the indicated range to your target. This is a “Dot Value” that corresponds to the dots on each side of the reticle’s vertical post. These dots let the shooter precisely hold into the wind. The shooter still needs to estimate the cross-wind and convert the 10MPH Wind Value displayed to the appropriate value for the estimated actual MPH cross-wind value. The shooter then holds into the wind using the appropriate “Dot Value” as shown in the examples below. "

That's not what I want in a riflescope. When distances become long enough to need a laser rangefinder assuming crosswinds are uniform over the trajectory is often insufficient.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 04-27-2013 at 12:41 PM.