Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Burris Ballistic Plex vs. Nikon BDC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member
Re: Burris Ballistic Plex vs. Nikon BDC

I have also heard mixed reviews on burris. I've had a 8x32 black diamond side focus for about 2 years, so far i'm very pleased with the scope.It is the bmd reticle and it works very well. Most of the complaints I have heard on burris were actually about customer service rather than the product itself, which seems like a shame to me. Based on my experience with this scope I would say you cant go wrong,

Unread 10-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

genecole- If you can, try to look through the newer vx2's, they are pretty bright and crisp. I have no problem shooting to 1000 yards with the scope, but I was using a 300 RUM. It shoots just a wee bit flatter then a 30-06. However, the 6-18 has been on my 25-06 and 270, and I can tell you that with no special base or anything, they can get to 800 yards and thats using btips. If your wanting to target shoot at a 1000 yards though, I"m not to sure what kind of hash mark scope would be precise enough, other then a nightforce with NP-R2 reticle or something. Dialing up does require a rangefinder and a drop card and practice shooting at the distances of which your drop card says.
Unread 10-15-2006, 01:47 PM

I completely agree with the last part of your post. I have shot this gun at 1000 before, but I am now going to use is mostly for hunting. 1000yds will be on a known distance range. I will be using a rangefinder as well when hunting. I think I will be trying the Burris. Thanks for the input.

Gene Cole III
Unread 10-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

I have 4 Burris ballistic plex....great scopes. And I know friends with another 4-6 total. No problems with any of them. They are a bargain in my book....very clear....seem to track fine. I know a guy that had to send one in for service and it took 10 days and back it came free of charge fixed. Seems like bad stories travel faster than good ones.
Unread 10-19-2006, 09:40 PM

I shoot almost exclusively Burris on my hunting rifles and have no complaints. We have compared optics from Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss and Bushnell at dusk and dawn and the Burris Black Diamond gathers light the best. I like the Nikon, but the BDC reticle kind of sucks compared to the ballistic plex. I shoot a .300weatherby using 180 gr Accubonds 84.5 grains of IMR 7828. While practicing at a life size elk target at 637 yrds, I hold my 600 yrd mark on top of the vitals section and group 3 shots in the heart consistantly. I have found that my deviation from zero at the individual yardage tics is less than an inch. I've had good luck with Burris and for your $600, you can't go wrong with a 4-16X50 Black Diamond with a ballistic plex in it. A little more buys the ballistic mil-dot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Unread 10-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

At 1st glance i wasn't too crazy about the Nikon BDC, but after considering it's virtues it might just be a very good system. One of the advantages to the system is that if it doesn't zero perfectly to whatever yardage it's supposed to, it can be "tweaked" a little since u have 2 stadia above and below the center of the circle that allows for .75 SMOA of fudge room, sort of (the dot's inside diameter is 1.5 SMOA). It should allow the shooter to reference his shot with either the top or bottom of the circle. This probably won't help a lot with the interpolative zeros (in-between ranges), but it will for the stadia zeros themselves. Another advantage to the reticle is that u should be able to easily reference windage tactically with the reticle by counting interpolative circles for wind (to the tune of 2.0 SMOA per circle outside diameter). That should prove relatively very advantageous in the wind. The lower post tip is flat which may help for turret clicking beyond the lower post tip's zero (15 SMOA).

At 400-500 yds. it shouldn't be any problem at all on an antelope/deer-size tgt. At 500 yds. the circle covers 5 X 1.5 SMOA or 7.5 inches. Might help u quickly determine that 500 yd. mark, in fact, which leads me to my next point--
It should make for an excellent reticle rangefinding system-- probably as good as the mil-dot, in fact.

1 other thing that i've always liked about the Nikon systems is that they provide all the stadia subtensions of all their reticles in the catalog. It's 1 of the best tech specs. catalogs of all the popular scope companies.
Unread 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

I know this topic is very old, but maybe we'll get an answer to this. Which of these two scopes has more MOA of adjustment in it? I think the buckmasters are around 50MOA of internal adjustment, but I'm not positive on the burris.