Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Budget setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Re: Budget setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter2k9 View Post
Whoops forgot, I am shooting my dads rem 700 .270 win. It's not the best for longer range but whatever I guess haha. I will be shooting 150 gr hornadys when hunting. I think I will need that picatinny rail
Which rail with 20Moa is best?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
EGW 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Remington

Depending on if you use a 50-52mm objective I recommend these rings:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/244...ings-matte-low

Or 56mm these rings:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/181...s-matte-medium

And if you're using a 1" scope....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/620...ings-matte-low

or

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/798...s-matte-medium

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Also, I have a .... I think it's a dovetail base, the kind you have to get rotating dovetail rings, on my gun, is their anyway to change to a picatinny base without going to a gunsmith?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

You remove the bases that are currently on your gun before installing the 1-piece picatinny base. It mounts to the top of the reciever with 4 screws.

Dovetail is the style of base that's on it, not the reciever itself. You should 't have to take the gun to a gunsmith to have the rail put on, it takes 10 mins to remove the old stuff and install the new. Takes you about 2 more to boresight it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

I switched my Vortex PST 6-24x50 mm scope with a custom turret from my bolt action Savage 6mm Norma BR. to my Browning BAR 30-06. With a 200 yd. zero the custom turret is dead on out to at least 400 yds. At 400 yds. it shoots a 6 inch 5 shot group. Not to shabby with a BAR shooting factory ammo. A bolt action should shoot smaller groups then 6 inches at 400 yds.

gt40
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Budget setup-rifle-2-.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You remove the bases that are currently on your gun before installing the 1-piece picatinny base. It mounts to the top of the reciever with 4 screws.

Dovetail is the style of base that's on it, not the reciever itself. You should 't have to take the gun to a gunsmith to have the rail put on, it takes 10 mins to remove the old stuff and install the new. Takes you about 2 more to boresight it.

What all will the 20MOA change? I wanted to be zeroed at 200 yds. Is that possible with the 20MOA? WOULD 15MOA be better?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You could always rebarrel it to a .280 Ackley Improved and it WOULD be a long range contender......Literally, all you would have to do is a put a barrel chambered for .280 AI on it...Everything else fits, bolt & bolt face, floorplate, everything...

If you are looking for a picatinny rail, check out EGW (Evolution Gun Works). I use their rails exclusively. Len Backus, the proprietor of this site, also uses them, so you know they can't be junk.

Evolution Gun Works Inc..

I just saw this about the .280. Is ammo any cheaper? and is it really that great of an inprovement?