Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Budget Scope Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Budget Scope Advice

Question to all. First, I've noticed that when looking at some scopes with max power of x12 or x14 that some have fixed parallax and some have adjustable whether it be on the occular or side. So my question is say I've got a x14 power scope without that adjustment. How much will parallax effect my shotting at say 700 yards? It's implied that the scope also has to have decent clarity at max power which some do not in the price range I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

ntg, you got me on that one. I do have a Bushnell Elite 3200 with a fixed 10X and mill dot mill/mill reticule. It is EXTREMELY clear. unfortunately I, being all thumbs, jammed the windage reticule, so now I will be sending it to Bushnell for repair.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Bronze Member

to 1HUNTER, are you going to be at the range tomorrow? I will be around 0900. If you see this, send me an e-mail, haferkampfred@gmail.com.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg View Post
...So my question is say I've got a x14 power scope without that adjustment. How much will parallax effect my shotting at say 700 yards? It's implied that the scope also has to have decent clarity at max power which some do not in the price range I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance.
The exact answer is difficult to calculate. It depends on how far away your eye is from the center of the exit pupil. If the objective is large and you're looking at objects in bright sunlight, the eye can be off center quite a bit.

For a 40 mm objective, however, the exit pupil at 14X is 2.9 mm wide. In bright daylight your eye pupil will be about 2 mm, so you can't move your eye more than about +/- 0.5 mm without noticing a change on the sight picture. That means you will have a natural tendency to center your eye, which minimizes parallax error. I calculate that for a 14X magnification, a 100 yd scope focus, and a 0.5 mm eye offset, the parallax error is 1.7 inches at 700 yds.

In general, if you train yourself to always center your eye so that the sight picture is centered, you will not have problems with parallax error on a 40 mm objective scope.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 04-09-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Bronze Member

Bruce Ventura,
thanks much for the concise explanation. I do appreciate it. Any thing regarding the use of numbers, has always been difficult. I always think I'm intelligent, until the use of numbers is needed.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

I returned a Minnox scope which was hardly cheap (over $500) because it had serious parallax issues. The inability to adjust parallax is a serious hindrance in my view. I couldn't shoot better than a 2" group at 100 yards, with a rifle that has always shot 1/2 MOA and the average was probably closer to 3". It gave me a headache too... I spent a little more and got the Vortex scope and have never looked back. (previously I was using a $350 Nikon with side focus and it shot 1/2 MOA).

All I can say to the OP is that you will regret buying a new cheap scope and you will also regret not being able to correct for parallax.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Bronze Member

westcliffe, I am nothing but happy with the Vortex I purchased. I know it is the lower end of their product, but so far I can find no complaints with it, and being the fussy old man that I am, I look hard. I will be buying the next step up from Vortex, the Viper, but that will take some time.