Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Budget Scope Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Budget Scope Advice

Last I checked the OP isn't shooting a .50 BMG.....And if you looked carefully, the base didn't appear to flex, the rail the base was attached to, did. And the scope bell and occular objective flexed from the recoil vibration.

But either way, this arguement is getting too far-fetched and this man's thread is ruined. I'm done arguing solely off of me feeling bad for screwing up the guy's thread any worse than it already has been.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, Mud.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

The only reason I posted that video is because you can visually see the deflection happen (which is pretty ridiculous). Usually, any time you buy a scope, you have to consider what to do to mount it. OK, so you have rings and bases. But many do not and then choose aluminum parts to hold their $350, $700 or $1800 scope onto whatever rifle it is getting put on.

If you have not done so already in your research, go to Natchez http://www.natchezss.com/optics.cfm?...=9&category=20

Their "drill down" menu is one of the best. It beats opticsplanet hands down for a search function. Of course they do not carry everything that opticsplanet does. I have bought several scopes from them at pretty major discounts. You can search by optical power range, objective size, reticle, manufacturer etc.

Have you considered the Vortex Viper 4-12x40PA ? It has side focus to correct parallax and is $399 and Vortex has one of the best warranties in the business.
Vortex Viper 4-12x40 PA Matte Riflescopes FREE S&H VPR-M-04BDC. Vortex Viper Rifle Scopes, Vortex Rifle Scopes.
It has a dead hold reticle and a 1" tube, so if your current rings are good you should be all set.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Make sure Natchez delivers to your state.....They won't here in Alabama or Georgia. Not sure why, b/c we have some of the country's most lax weapons laws. Unless they have distributors in our area, and don't want to ruin their business with cheaper online buying...Which is probably what it is.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Thanks...I'll have to look at nachez. I'm aware of it but haven't really explored it. The Viper would be great but really more than I want to put on this budget gun. I was thinking of how I ought to explore flebay for it and maybe some leupolds.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

There is also a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x44 AO. It is $299 and has basically the same dead hold reticle. It is probably assembled in China. I have not heard much about this model, but one is getting down into price territory where having the AO is getting rarer. When it comes to warranty Vortex and Leupold/Redfield are probably the best. I have several Nikons, but warranty or even dealing with customer service is a giant PIA.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

I've heard that about Nikon, plus not thrilled w/ their BDC make them not too high on my list. The vortex DB is still on the list...there's a lot going for it.