Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Budget Scope Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg View Post
Bruce, that's some great input. I was thinking that E1 was out of my price range, but maybe not. Maybe I'll save a little longer.

I was also pointed toward the Timberline scopes they make. How do they stack up to the E1 or normal fulfield II? I wonder about low light with the smaller objective...
For hunting in low light I prefer at lest a 6 mm exit pupil at a magnification of 6X or more, which would allow me to make a good shot on big game at a few hundred yards. That means the objective should be at least 36 mm.

Both Timberline scopes have 32 objectives, so they fall a bit short of meeting my criteria. You would have to reduce the magnification only to 5X, however, which is not a huge deal. That is nearly the lowest mag for the 4.5-14x scope, though. The eye relief is 5", so your rings must allow the scope to move forward about 1.5" further than the Fullfield models. Timberline scopes do not appear to be any lighter, despite the smaller objective.

The E1 scopes have nice turrets under the caps and the eyepiece does not turn with the zoom ring. That means your Butler Creek scope cap doesn't rotate when you change magnification. The Fullfield II models have smaller turrets that require some effort to grab onto, and the eyepiece turns with the zoom ring. For target shooting at longer range, you will appreciate the larger turrets on the E1.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Budget Scope Advice

Well, I've done some more reading/research. I like Bruce's recommendation in the E1 Burris.

So here's what's still on my list, and those marked "*" are those I've actually been able to look through. (Some brief thoughts follow)

*Revenge: 4-12x42 (Looked pretty good and w/ $40 rebate, tempting)
*Revolution: 4-12x40 (Looks goods and like the slim profile, low weight)
Fullfield E1: 4.5X-14X-42mm (like the better turrets)
Fullfield II: 4.5X-14X-42mm
*Vortex DB: 4-12X40 (good clarity, eye-relief, just o.k.)
Nikon BM: 4.5X-14X-40 (want the hard to find mil-dot; not too sure about their BDC)
Legend Ultra Hd: 4.5-14x44 Mil-dot (hear good things, and have binos in series that are quite good for the $$)
*Trophy XLT: 4-12X4 (actually fairly good, seemed better than Prostaff. AO...iffy.)
Trophy XLT: 6-18x40 (wonder how clear is at 18x and AO...iffy.)

General thoughts. I like the idea of keeping it light as I may cover 5-10 a day when hunting, and it's easier in dense brush. I'd also like the higher powers for traget/plinking, but recognize it won't be any help is it's not clear focusable on the high end, which I've seen on some inexpensive scopes.

Set my max at $350. Right now both the Redfields are very tempting, and I'd really like to look at the E1 and the Legend. Any help or thoughts?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg View Post
Well, I've done some more reading/research. I like Bruce's recommendation in the E1 Burris.

So here's what's still on my list, and those marked "*" are those I've actually been able to look through. (Some brief thoughts follow)

*Revenge: 4-12x42 (Looked pretty good and w/ $40 rebate, tempting)
*Revolution: 4-12x40 (Looks goods and like the slim profile, low weight)
Fullfield E1: 4.5X-14X-42mm (like the better turrets)
Fullfield II: 4.5X-14X-42mm
*Vortex DB: 4-12X40 (good clarity, eye-relief, just o.k.)
Nikon BM: 4.5X-14X-40 (want the hard to find mil-dot; not too sure about their BDC)
Legend Ultra Hd: 4.5-14x44 Mil-dot (hear good things, and have binos in series that are quite good for the $$)
*Trophy XLT: 4-12X4 (actually fairly good, seemed better than Prostaff. AO...iffy.)
Trophy XLT: 6-18x40 (wonder how clear is at 18x and AO...iffy.)

General thoughts. I like the idea of keeping it light as I may cover 5-10 a day when hunting, and it's easier in dense brush. I'd also like the higher powers for traget/plinking, but recognize it won't be any help is it's not clear focusable on the high end, which I've seen on some inexpensive scopes.

Set my max at $350. Right now both the Redfields are very tempting, and I'd really like to look at the E1 and the Legend. Any help or thoughts?
I can clearly see a 100 yard target and count the bullet holes and distinguish the bugholes from one shot to another, at 32x magnification with my Konus M-30. I don't understand why people have issues at high magnification in close range, you can get close with your parallax adjustment, but fine-tune with the occular adjustment. Mine is the clearest, most impressive $350 scope I've ever owned. It tracks perfectly with it's marks, and resets accurately. Repeatable adjustments. And I will probably be buying another one soon since I can't afford the NF I want...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, Mud. I was thinking I need to see what other reticles they offer in this scope.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
All 4 of my EGW HD model rails have solid blocks, and don't have a goove down the middle...

And if the groove was a huge deal, why does Badger do it on their $200 bases, too?

MANY of the pic style bases have a center groove. For what reason I have no idea...but having the groove is a POOR reason to not like EGW rails.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
MANY of the pic style bases have a center groove. For what reason I have no idea...but having the groove is a POOR reason to not like EGW rails.
It's just brand snobs, people who like to show off their money, or someone who is uninformed and has no personal experience, but read 1 bad rumor on the internet, or something like that.

Personally, I'm not gonna spend $200 on a base, and $200 on a set of rings, unless it's going on a real big bore, like a.375 Cheytac, .408 Cheytac, .416 Barrett, or .50 BMG. Or a safari rifle with huge recoil, or something like that.

EGW rails are more than strong enough. And if you don't feel they are, then buy the HD model aluminum bases. Mine have been excellent.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Mud, I'm going to see how the base works, but plan to go with your recommendation if it doesn't. Anyone with additional experience or input on my list of Scopes?