Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

buckmaster 4.5-14 Side Focus adj obj - BDC reticle initial thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

buckmaster 4.5-14 Side Focus adj obj - BDC reticle initial thoughts

Mounted up on leupy dual dovetail low rings (yeah its low). (300 ultra) 700 rem rifle. I founds some likes and dislikes about this scope. I ran it side by side against my buschnell 3200 4x 12x40 adj obj. believe it or not I think the 3200 on 12X gives mores magnification than the nikon at 14.5X. Clarity I give the edge to the 3200 as well. definately brighter. Now I love the size of this scope and I think I'm going to like the BDC reticle. Love the side focus feature. However, I experienced that the clicks moved point of impact much more than the advertised 1/4 min per click. More like 1/2. This made for a little frustration trying to get good fine zero at 100 yd. I wanted to follow the book and ajust like it has 1/4 MOA adjustment. I don't like to guess but thats what I ended up doing. I did the one shot and then adjust the cross hair from the bull over to your point of impact. This got me close. I had a lot of variables I was trying to account for as this gun was just put into a different stock. And this scope was put on not knowing how the gun shot in the new stock. By the time I had 16 rounds down the pipe it was holding 1 1/4 in 3 shot groups at 200. It can do better. The weather climbed into the mid 80's and I had enough as I had fired the 7 rum with the 3200 about 20 times also. 4 hours out in the sun was plenty. My initial thoughts on this scope is that the glass while not great is good enough. It is a much lighter and more compact scope than the 3200 5X15X50 it replaces. and I am looking forward to playing with the BDC reticle and dialing in for longer range. I will be shooting the 200 gr accubond at 3150. I will write some more on this scope after I have much more rifle time behind it and I can give a fair opinion. For the money I think it will be a good purchase.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: buckmaster 4.5-14 Side Focus adj obj - BDC reticle initial thoughts

dufur,

Two things:

#1 if it's suppose to be 1/4 MOA and is more like 1/2 MOA for the money that's junk!

#2 Last year my son's friend, whose entire family are no hunters, went hunting with us (he had not tag); this year we convinced his dad and he bought him a Remington 308 Win. Model 12BVSS and a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 Side Focus which we mounted using Burris rings with the inserts for longer ranges. Out of the box I was impressed how accurate the scope was tracking and the rifle was shooting! This young man has been practicing and I've seen him dialing from 300 to 500+ and accurately busting small rocks. Good rifle, excellent scope. Tracking was very awesome. I suggest you return the scope and get it replaced. I've read many reports saying how good their turrets track.

Respectfully,

Eaglet.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: buckmaster 4.5-14 Side Focus adj obj - BDC reticle initial thoughts

That is some sage advice eaglet. I just think that I should give it some more shooting time and get the gun really dialed and shooting bughole groups and then shoot a square using the adjustments and see for sure just how much point of impact moves. I just want to be sure to eliminate the rifle as a possible variable. Then I want to get someone else to shoot too so as to eliminate me as a variable as well. If the scope is still suspect it will go back. If it was after hunting seasons I would just switch it over to one of my other rifles of known/proven accuracy but with seasons starting next wkend I don't want to screw with any other rifles. It has lifetime warrenty so I guess time is not of the essence. Thanks for reminding me that the consumer does not have to accept performance that is less than advertised. I appreciate the advice! Dufur