Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Boresighting Methods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member
Just read an article in gun magazine (Rifle Shooter). The writer (Boddington I think) said he has tried all the bore sighters, and he still finds the set target at 25 yards and bore sight to be the best. I have Leupold and Bushnell. They don't get you any closer than his method.

Unread 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Silver Member
A quickie

that works for me is to get the scope and reticle level, accurately measure the scope height above the bore C/L, hit my pda program for 25 yards, fire one shot accurately, reset the reticle to the impact point and I am god to go at distances greater than 100 yard for zero's at that longer distance, then make a drop chart. Overbore
Member, Revolutionary War Veterans Association
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Bronze Member
Does anybody use the lasers that you put in the chamber?
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Gold Member
I agree with gene. I have the leupold and have gone back to just pulling the bolt at the range. It's probably the most accurate way.
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

I bought it because it was cheap and thought why the heck not. Once I put it on I couldn't figure how it would keep a bullet in the same zip code let alone on paper.

But everytime it has worked.

To protect the crown I just put a peice of cloth between the magnetic sight and the barrel.

Originally Posted by Natty Bumpo View Post
I bought a Busnell magnetic boresighter a while back. I had my doubts about it when I got it. It's held to the muzzle by a magnet, but you can slide it around left-right, up-down, etc. So how can it be worth a darn if it's not in a fixed position, right? Well I've used it twice on new scopes. I put a yardstick across the scope's objective and parallel to the barrel. I try to get the top of the collimator in line with the top of the scope's objective. Then I eyeball the left-right orientation and try to get it as "plumb" as I can. Then I look through the scope and center the reticle on the collimator. Both times I've been on paper when I took it to the range.