Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

boresighting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

boresighting

I have a Remm 22-250 with a swaro 6-18 on it upon boresighting it with a collimator it seemed pretty close, at the range it took about 10 moa of right windage to get "on" is this alot? its on a warne rail with warne rings but this is the third set up on this rifle and it always shoots to the left, I got tired if the adjustable windage bases losening up any way to correct this during boresighting to keep the scope optics in a more neutral position ? thanks in advance Scott
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: boresighting

were your scope adjustments centered when you put the scope on? Maybe the scope was adjusted over to one side or the other. if not it sounds like and combonation of things, none of which you can change. action not drilled straight of barrel is threaded crooked or bent or maybe its straight and indexed left or right? maybe your bases arent drilled in the center... list goes on and on. I think your just going to have to live with it and hope it shoots good..

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Mike, yea the scope wind, and elev was centered before boresighting, other than have the base redrilled I thought I would ask for some feedback, I dont shoot it out past 4-500 yrd so not making huge windage adjustments, I know Darrel Holland has a system to get a long range rig to Zero before making reticle adjustments to boresight I may try that on my 260 thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

I guess it is not impossible that the receiver was 0.017" off over 6" when the holes were drilled and tapped for the scope base ? All it would take is a single piece of swarf from a previous machining operation to throw it off that amount. The hole positions in the scope base can easily be checked if it is a 1 piece base, but it seems doubtful that would be it.

It should not be like that and having the hole positions checked relative to the receiver axis would confirm it. After that ? Drill a new set of holes ? Make sure the artisan gets it right this time ???
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

thanks westcliff, I think I get it now, thanks for the clarification