Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Boresighting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: Boresighting

put your bore sighter on a gun thats allready known to be sighted in and see where the lazer hits at the range your using it at and then use that spot to adjust the new gun too. It isnt exact as how high your scope is varys from gun to gun but it should be close.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: Boresighting

I have used the following process with success for years:

Do this at night. Best of all is a bright light in the distance from your bedroom, where you can aim at the light from a pile of pillows.

Pull the bolt and bore sight on the light in the distance. It can be a street light, a bright star. Whatever, but it needs to be bright enough that you can see in through the bore, and distant.

Now start clicking.

Play with the elevation first.

Then, if you have Leupold or Burris style bases, where there are two screws in the rear mount, I like to center the scope right to left (count clicks from max right to max left, then center), and initially center the scope with the mount screws. IMHO, this is a good reason to avoid weaver/picatinny bases, as you cannot do this.

Using this process, I can paper the first shot at 50 or even 100 yards with regularity....