Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

BOOSTING LEUPOLD ZOOM SCOPES - WHO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 04:03 AM
Silver Member

BOOSTING LEUPOLD ZOOM SCOPES - WHO?

OK - I'll admit this has NOTHING to do with Hunting or even (generically speaking) Long Range but I have a mate with a problem and am trying to help.

He was worried about putting this in correct English - but does read LRH regularly.

The AIRGUN discipline of FIELD TARGET requires higher magnifications than most as well as CLOSE focus (10-55 yrds) - ZOOM is a near must.

A major source of suitable optices WERE Premier boosted Leupolds. But that is now gone.

Now we may have found a company who can supply the optical parts - but we are looking for somebody who could either explain how to get a Leupold apart without screwing it up, supply a cutaway diagram or any other way help.

Chris @ PR has apparently not been too helpfull to my mate. Surprising as it's a GEN2 PR 8.5-20*50. Warranty is not an issue. The benchrest guys seem only to modify fixed mag scopes.

Or if anybody knows the best way to soften up Chris Thomas a bit that might do it. I have a PR "running boar" Olympic scope I'd sort of like changing a bit too.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

Re: BOOSTING LEUPOLD ZOOM SCOPES - WHO?

There was a link on this site for a company boosting Leupolds, but when I called they said only fixed power. I'm not finding anything from the search feature, but I've heard some people are doing the conversions on variables. If anyone has any info, I'd like to know as well.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Have you or your friend ever considered the now discontinued Burris Signature Rim Fire / Air Rifle scope in the 8-32 power with the 44mm objective? Burris made them for a few years and there may be some out there for sale. I got one but it may be hard to ship it to another country with customs and all the red tape that goes with it. How about the non boosted Leupold 6.5-20 EFR?? is power too low? I had a couple of those too that were boosted by P.R. years ago.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

You might give Bill Ackerman a call. He can be reached at (505)598-9833. His address is:

5489 Santa Terista Dr,
Santa Teresa NM 88008

His email address is

oscscope@aol.com

He may or may not be able to help but I bet he knows someone who can.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

In 8-32 I'd get an Elite 4200 I think out of preference. The pure FT guys look for 10-40* (10-50* would please them more). And they want sidewheels. PR boosted Leupold were the device of choice for many. I think my mate has already spoken to Bill, but thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

I thought of the Elite later on, that would be a good choice if all else fails. You might post in the sell,trade, section and ask for one in a WTB post. I had a boosted Leupold 6.5-20 EFR boosted to 18-40 I sold to someone on that board...so maybe someone has one they may part with??
Old 10-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Chrismadrid, I sent you an invite and a question concerning your running boar scope. Thanks guy.

Hap