Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Boone & crocket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: Boone & crocket

VXIII scopes are great, but I had trouble with the B&C reticle. It is so fine that you lose it at dusk. Also, hash marks are too small. I like the Swarovski TDS reticle, much more useful. New VXII scopes are close to Swarovski in low light, but I still like the latter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2004, 11:43 AM

I find the best reticles with multiple aims point to be the type that gives you units of measure not just a 200, 300, 400, etc. holdovers. Only the premier reticles custom reticle or custom reticles like it that are calibrated to an exact load in YOUR gun will really work and even that has problems at long ranges when altitude and temp come into play. Plus your stuck with one load. Sell the rifle and whats the scope worth?

I personally think that the NP-r2 reticle by nightforce is the best. Easy ranging and 2 moa per bar. Mil-dots are good except I prefer MOA instead. At extended ranges clicking is the best method since precision matters most at ranges past 500 yards. I wish Leupold, nikon, burris and others would make a reticle similar to the NP-R2.

My biggest problem with mil-dots is that the clicks are MOA and the reticle is mils. I think the clicks should match the reticle.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest problem with mil-dots is that the clicks are MOA and the reticle is mils. I think the clicks should match the reticle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the very reason I went with the US Optics MOA reticle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....sakofan.....It's a MOA world!!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 04:22 AM
Silver Member

Greenhorn ,
I think that some have missed the point of the B & C and Varmint Hunter's reticles . They're not designed for people who take shots at 600 yards or more from a portable benchrest . No arguement that cranking the dials will be better at those ranges .
Out to 400 or 500 yards the B & C and Varmint Hunter reticles are quick to use and work quite well provided you do a little shooting to set them up for the ballistics of your cartridge / load . The recommended power settings from Leupold are a starting point only .
Using a target that has plenty of vertical height for 500 to 600 yds sight the rifle in at 200 yds or 300 yds as suggested by Leupold then shoot at the longer ranges and mark clearly with a felt pen the impact point of the groups on your target . Mark horizontal lines that are thick enough to be seen from where you are shooting . Adjust the power setting of your scope until you get the horizontal crosshairs to coincide as closely as possible to all the marks on your target .
This is pretty simple and you should be able to find a power setting that gets the crosshairs within 1 inch or so of your impact point at all the various ranges that the reticle caters for .If you can get your projectile that close to your intended impact point off a bipod or over a field rest at 300 ,400 or 500 yds then 95% of the time you'll have a dead animal while the dial crankers are still consulting their drop charts .
Old 12-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Bronze Member

Aussie.

First time anybody has explained it like that.

So what you are saying is that the 400 yd mark in the B&C retical might not hit where it should with the scope at 9X, but if you back it off to say 7X it would hit at 400 yds?

So you have to learn at what power each of the B&C lines will hit their intended range, or will one power setting cause them all to match up?

I had no idea that the power setting on your scope would matter. If I'm understanding you correctly, wouldn't it defeat the purpose though if you had to turn your power down from 9X to 7X to make a 400 yd shot?
Bare with me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2004, 01:43 AM
Gold Member

Greenhorn,
The scope reticle is designed to be accurate at its max power (or designated on a high power variable). On a 3.5X10 for example, stadia spacing is set for 10 power. The spacing is based on the trajectory most seen for a given group of calibers. You can check the spacing out by doing a little homework on your computer. The factory can tell you the relative holdover for each mark. Usually, a 200 yd zero is assumed for a flat shooting cartridge. Using a ballistic program, you can compare the drop at the 300,400,&500yd ranges and then see how Leupolds holdover marks compare. If they are off by much, you can compensate several ways. One is to shoot your rifle at the given range and see how far off you are & then compensate your hold in the field. Second is to change your sight in point which can put your holdover marks back into correct spacing. For example, sighting in at 225 vs 200 yds will raise your overall trajectory and help to realign your marks. Third method is the one referred to above. Changing your power ring downward will raise the impact for each given distance.
I agree with your comment, I don't like to be messing around with my power setting. I prefer to adjust my zero so the holdover marks are real close to the intended impact point. Most of the scopes will work with a little tweaking.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Greenhorn and Wapiti ,
Possible to find ONE POWER SETTING for all ranges . May have to alter sight in distance as per Wapiti's suggestion but not necessarily .
eg. When sighted in at 200 yds I found that approx 18 power gave near perfect results for my .243 Ackley shooting 70gn Nosler BT at 3550 FPS . This is not one of Leupold's recommended power settings on the 6.5 - 20 VX 111 .
Just changed to the 55gn Nosler BT at 4030 FPS and found that the same power setting will be good if I sight in at 250 yds . Trajectory of the 55gn is virtually identical to the 70gn albeit at 50 yds longer ranges . 55gn drops about the same at 350 , 450 and 550 yds as the 70gn at 300 , 400 and 500 .
Need a chronograph , your bullet's B.C. and a ballistics program to work this out easily . Good free web - based ballistics program at http://www.beartoothbullets.com/resc...stics/DATA.htm [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]