Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

blurry crosshairs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 PM

blurry crosshairs

Tonight I fired at a 600yd range for the first time. I shot well but my crosshairs often became blurry against the black target. What adustments should I make or is this just something I have to deal with. The paralax on the scope only goes to 300 and then to infinity.

Thanks
John
Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 PM
SPONSOR

Re: blurry crosshairs

I may be wrong, but I think you need to adjust the ocular end, or eyepiece, on your scope. It seems I've read somewhere that you focus the reticle w/the eyepiece and the image w/the paralax.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Bill is right. Adjust the occular end for the reticle... however...
The instructions that came with your scope probably has a section which will instruct you to point the optic at a bright, featureless area (like the sky, or your ceiling) and briefly look through the scope, checking to see if the reticle is focused. This sets the focus of the reticle for your eyes, and your eyes only. if you did his whole process when you mounted the scope, it is entirely possible to still have a fuzzy reticle if your parallax (or focus distance ) is set to the wrong range just by focucing on the target instead of the reticle. Check the Ocular on the ceiling... if its not fuzzy, just spend some more time adjusting the "focus" next time.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Bronze Member

The above two are correct, take the time to set up your scope to your eyes.
The eyebell will adjust the focus of the ret to your eyes, this could have a locking ring on it.
Adjusting the parallax for every range is a must, but i would ignore the factory markings. Even better re adjust the parallax front lens to the distance that you would shoot as a maximum range, quite easy to do. ie if you shoot up to 1000 yards set the pa for 1050 yards as max it will go to and use the front pa or sidewheel to pa for any given range up to 1050 yards.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

You will pobably need to do this everytime your prescription changes for your glasses.