Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Binoculars & Range Finder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Bronze Member

Binoculars & Range Finder

I need some binoculars and a range finder. Want to get good value but not spend more than I have to. At the same time I don't want to save a couple of bucks & get something that is not useful. Will want to be able to range out to 1000 yds. I would love to get a combined binocular/rangefinder, but those seem prohibitively expensive.

Please help w/ some recommendations!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Gold Member

Re: Binoculars & Range Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmh View Post
I need some binoculars and a range finder. Want to get good value but not spend more than I have to. At the same time I don't want to save a couple of bucks & get something that is not useful. Will want to be able to range out to 1000 yds. I would love to get a combined binocular/rangefinder, but those seem prohibitively expensive.

Please help w/ some recommendations!
All but a couple lazers will dissapoint you at some point and under certain conditions.
That would include the combo units. I know a guy who has both the Bushnell and
the swarovski combo units. they both work equaly well for ranging. The swaro is
hands down better as for the binnoc part. I know another guy with the combo swaro
who is very dissapointed with the ranging especially beyond 1000 yds. I have a
swaro rangefinder that is fine to about 800. Beyond that it will occaissionaly dissapoint me.
Id reccomend you buy a Leica rangefinder and a good set of binnocs. First off you will be using the binnocs far more than the rangefinder.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

Buy a Leica. I just sold mine to buy a G7. I don't doubt that at some point I will miss my Leica. I've had three Leica's. Each rangefinder consistently ranged beyond its rating. I.E.-Leica 1600 ranged out to 1800 frequently.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

Leica Geovids..... Range finding binocs. Glass is superb, accuracy seems to be dead on to 1300yds. I have the 10X42.... Really enjoy them.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

The Geovids are the best option, but are going to put you into the mid-high $2K's.

For about half that I would go either Leica or Zeiss RF and some Vortex Viper binos (or Razor depending on the magnification you want)

My Zeiss PRF will do 1450 consistently on rocks, my Vipers are good glass for the $$.

That said, I have the Geovid HD-B's on order.