Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Binoculars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Silver Member

Binoculars

I am in the market for a pair of new binoculars. My budget is around $250.00. I would like the power to be x10 or x12 and objective size to be around 50mm, and also I need the optics to be clear. Do you guys have any info on which bino's to look at?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Binoculars

I'm not trying to be a wiseacre...but at the price range you outline there isn't anything that comes to mind. I would politely and strongly suggest you save your hard dollars for a better quality of binoculars.

You could look at the SWFA website at their used glass or perhaps on e-Bay, and I'm sure that some the dealers on this site can point you in a direction.

Try to think of your binocular purchase as a one-time lifetime purchase!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

Lefty, The only pair that comes to mind in that price range is the Nikon ATB's and even they are tipically a little more.

Have some cash ready and search around on the web. Go to some of the bird watching sites and look at their classified's section (they also have bino reviews). Check the hunting sites as well. You'll get a better pair for your money if you're willing to buy a used pair.

Why look on the bird watching websites? bird watchers typically aren't as hard on their equipment as hunters, so a used pair of binos are likely to be in better shape.

TAC

TAC
Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

What about Steiner Predator 12 x 40?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
What about Steiner Predator 12 x 40?

[/ QUOTE ]

18 years ago, I ordered and bought a pair of steiners. (I think they were 10x50's. I really wanted the Zeiss 10x40's, but didn't really have the money.

When they arrived, I was very disappointed because after 10 minutes of viewing I had a headache. The edge of the view was not in the same focus as the center etc etc.

I returned them and bit the bullet. I still have that same pair of Zeiss bino's. They are still as crystal clear as the day I bought them. I've carried them all over Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Michigan.

The pair of Steiner's I received might have been a 1 in a million lemon. I bought the Zeiss and I've been thankful that I did ever since. I've lost track of the number of times a friend and I would be watching/spotting animals and he'd need to borrow my binos to see what I was pointing out.

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-30-2007, 04:27 PM
SPONSOR

Nikon Monarch 10x42mm. You get alot for what you pay w/these.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

I got a pair of vortex Broadwings last year. They are made by Stokes birding. They are very clear and i think may be better than the nikons. I got them as a step towards bigger and better things. They have a great warranty and are exceptionaly clear. They are worth a look if you cant save more money.