Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Binocular vs Spotting Scope Trade Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Binocular vs Spotting Scope Trade Off

So how about you guys tell me the trade off between binoculars and a spotting scope for use in the field.

A good pair of binoculars has to be good out to a certain point ....

Doug
Old 04-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Binocular vs Spotting Scope Trade Off

What do you mean? Will you clarify the trade off part a bit? What range for both, FOV, clarity needed?

[ 04-01-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 04-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

I'm guessing that the answer is to use binocs or two strapped spotting scopes whenever possible because a single scope used heavily will give you incredible headaches and ruin your trip.

Always scan with traditional binocs first and go more serious as needed. Good binocs will pick up movement at long distances even if you don't know what it is yet!
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Ok, so binoculars should be able to do everything a spotting scope can out to a certain distance.

What is the distance?

Can one get by with just a great set of binoculars out to 500 yards?

I am not sure when a spotting scope becomes handy and/or is absolutely required.

I am sure that at 1000 yards a spotting scope is required.

What about 600, 700, 800, 900 ...

Where do binoculars give out?

Are there binoculars that will do for 1000 yds?

Not sure if this clears it up.

Doug
Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Perhaps you could say that good binocs are great for finding things, good spotting scope is great for examining what you just found. Binocs will not work for spotting bullets at 300 yards in the black for instance - just not enough power to enable that. Good spotting scope will let you see bullets in the black maybe out to 500 or more depending on the light and how much $ you spent. For our long range hunting, we can find deer with binocs and they are quicker to use - obviously the big field of view helps but tough to hand-hold ten power really steady. We setup the scope if we can to see what we really want to see - that is what 25x and more will do for you. Finding a bunch of dots that are a mile away with binocs is one thing, checking for horns is another.
Binocs are useless for long range spotting for shooting, just not enough power.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

The range highly depends on what you are looking to decern. You didn't say what the primary use would need to work on so I'll just say my experience with the Lieca 10x40's and Leupold 12-40 spotter has been.

Impacts on white painted steel plates;

10x binos - 500-500 yds
40x spotter - 1000 yds no problem.

Paper Targets - in the white;

10x binos - 300 yds
40x spotter - 500 - 600 yds

Paper Targets - in the black;

10x binos - 100 yds
40x spotter - 200 - 300 yds

Small points (presence and or length and or location) on a moose antler;

10x binos - 200 - 500 yds
40x spotter - 500 - 1500 yds

Spotting moose is in general is highly subjective and depends on cover, shade, movement etc.

10x binos - 0 - 500+ yds, maybe miles just depending.
40x spotter - 500 - 2000 yds, maybe miles too.

All ranges are subject to conditions and can vary, especially if you use a tripod with the binos. Ranges are just best guesses from memory. I was shooting the other day and couldn't see the hits on the target that were in the blue at 200 yards with the NF on 22x, barely could with the Lupy on 40x! I been making up my own targets on index cards with 1/8th" black lined diamonds 2" point to point because of that. They punch perfect holes and easy to see, choose your flourescent color.

[ 04-01-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 04-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

Thanks,

That was real good.

I have a pair of not overly expensive 10 binos which I do use, although lately I have just been using the range finder as a monocular to spot game.

I also have a spotting scope that was deamed useless because of lack of eye relief. That is why I am asking about spotting scopes. So far I just use my rifle scope as a spotting scope.

Will need a real spotting scope when I decide to move the targets out farther.

I can see bullet holes quite a ways out with the Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LRT. Not as far as you guys shoot, but quite a ways.

I make all my own targets too.

I use ExactIndex heavy card stock paper.

It is 8 1/2 x 11 and has a paper weight of 110 lb. Comes in 250 sheet packs from Office Max.

I have drawn up some targets with a drawing package on the computer and just print them out on the heavy card stock. Three 2 inch diamonds on a 1/8 inch grid with a place to record all the data at the bottom.

Bullets punch nice crisp holes. Works great.

Tell me more about the white steel plates.

Where do you get them and how do you hold them up?

I suppose they make a cool ding when hit ...

Doug