Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Binocular recomendations, PLEASE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member
Re: Binocular recomendations, PLEASE!

The Nikon Activa line 10x22x50mm does not appear to exist any more... there is an ACTION with the same specs. My only concern is that i cannot find any reference to it being waterproof????????

Unread 08-28-2005, 12:28 AM

found this on another hunting site, geared towards birders:
seems like a thorough, uptodate site.
the lighter, compact and waterprood they are; you won't leave 'em in the pickup!
Unread 08-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Writers Guild

Here is a nice link to nikon products.

If you decide on the Action series, go a bit upscale and get the Action EX ATB. you will not be dissapointed.

Unread 09-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Thank you all very much for your time... and let me show exactly how little I know about binoculars:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully as you gain more knowledge about binoculars you will quickly identify the difficulty in find a quality piece of glass within your price range. Please do not take that as a dig of any sort. My point is that while you may hold in your hands something that is called a binocular the draw back to poor glass and design is just that....poor.

My advice would be to go without a pair of bino's for a season while saving the $$$$ and purchase one pair that will last a lifetime of enjoyment.

I have had several pair of low end optics as a young kid and I wondered who in their right mind would spend $800+ for binos or riflescopes. Having had the opportunity to use and purchase the european glass now, I realized that I wasted almost enough on the cheap stuff to purchase a pair of Swarov SLC's.

[/ QUOTE ] I absolutely agree.
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
Unread 09-09-2005, 04:17 PM

My first binoculars were Steiner 8x30 Military/Marine. Even though I have a pair of Swarovski SLC 7x42 and a pair of Steiner Predator 10x50, when I'm just going out looking around, I grab the 8x30's. I've had them now for 20 yrs and never had a bit of problem with them. They can still be bought for about $189 most places and far less than that at discounters or on ebay.

Make the first shot count because more often than not the second one won't!
Unread 09-14-2005, 04:13 PM

After having such success with the Nikon Monarch ATB roof prism 8X42, I had to try the new Nikon EX Action express 12X50. WOW, these are a great binos. A bit bulky but quite light for the mag.

They are porro prism meaning the objective is wider then the eyepieces (roof is a straight tube bino). Adjustments are great and I can see/resolve wild grass at 800yds.

Some will call it bunch grass. Grows about 10 to 12" high and about 1/8" in diameter to 1/4" flat. I can actually make out the different blades at that range.

Have not tried low light as I am too close to urban lights. However, for what they cost, I really couldn't be happier. I will be using this for cut block hunting with ranges just like you.

Give them a try. They really are impressive. Nikon is making a huge push into quality affordable optics from binos to scopes. Crazy prices for how well they perform.

Don't have a clue about durability or weather proofness as they are brand new this spring. However, they have been bouncing on the floor of my cab since I got them (kind of a torture test). No problems so far. Review the specs. All the right bits are there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree here. I got the 12x50 in the Nikon EX line for 166 and love them. I, too can't say much regarding durability as this is their first season. I got them here huntersdiscount