Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Bino? Leupold Wind River vs. Nikon!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Bino? Leupold Wind River vs. Nikon!

Well I guess I must of got a good pair because my olympics are the best binos I have looked through and I have looked through several nikon and bushnell binos. Last weekend I used my Olympics to watch a herd of pigs at 4:30 in the morning with the only light coming from the moon . These binoculars could easily pick up the black pigs roaming around in a dark landscape at night, that is good enough for me. But you should go and look through the binos and see what you like, as your eyes may be different than any of ours.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 PM
SPONSOR

I guess I am speaking from limited experience. I have never looked through any of the larger WindRivers. The only ones I have looked through are the compact models.

If your after a large pair, it sounds like they may be pretty good.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
As much as I love the leupy scopes, I have to say stay away from the WindRiver stuff. To be quite blunt, it just flat out sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]Bill,
I must agree, I have a leupy scope on every rifle that I own and would not have a pair of wind river bino's.
B
Old 08-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Silver Member

Have you ever given thought to Steiners? I have a pair of Military/Marine 10x50s ($498 at swfa.com) that have always performed for me up to 1000yds or so and a few times I have picked out parts of deer with them in a brushy dark canyon at the very edge of legal shooting time. See them clearly with the binos..... lucky for the buck I couldnt find him with my scope. Before these I had a set of nikons that while clear fell apart bounceing around on the four wheeler one day. Looked through a few wind Rivers and was not impressed. Probaly the best thing to do is go to a sporting goods store and look through every set of Binos they have then get online and find out the cheapest place to buy em. Good luck!