Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

bigger than 50mm obj?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 06:30 PM

bigger than 50mm obj?

im looking for a scope with a bigger than 50mm obj. i would like to be able to zoom in quite a bit, but still see a wider area? am i hoping for too much?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: bigger than 50mm obj?

...might wanna try a Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56mm obj... considered the ultimate scope by many shooters...
Old 09-13-2004, 09:23 PM

hmm, those are kinda expensive. is there any that have a good high powered zoom, thats say, under 500
Old 09-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Gold Member

A. you shouldn't be using your scope as a replacement for a spotting scope, its dangerouse.
B. There isn't a good scope under $500.
c. Try looking for a spotting scope, the spider web one from Prem Ret is neat.
D. hensold make a 6.5-20x72 sniper scope.
Pete
Old 09-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

I personally see nothing dangerous in using a rifle scope for observation, (assuming half a brain), and not pointing the gun in an unsafe direction; the same as when in close proximity to people and occupied dwellings. PC advice is worthwhile, but, do you always have a spotting scope available, always have a pair of binoculars available? If you want to get a better look at something, I say it's okay to use your scope. Like the man said, zoom in. Why should he not use his variable scope for the purpose it was intended? However, zooming in and "still see a wider area" is counterproductive; so yes, you are hoping for too much. In fact, a "bigger" objective doesn't help, at all.

Good hunting. LB

[ 09-14-2004: Message edited by: LB ]
Old 09-16-2004, 12:34 PM

hmm,

well has anybody had any experience with the tasco super sniper scopes? they are supposed to be compared to 800-1000 scopes and are only 3-400
Old 09-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Come on, Pete.

Bolt up, unloaded, checking an unreadable National Forest sign, or some landmark in the distance, to get your bearings.... checking a glittering object, just in case?

Spotting scopes are great, but I travel light, hardly ever carry one with me. Binoculars are also great, IF I happen to have a pair handy, and I sometimes don't. What then, is the best solution; hike back to the truck for a spotting scope?

I've been reading articles for years, telling me that it's a "no-no" to get a better look at something(?) unless I have a spotting scope handy.

Of course, you wouldn't want someone studying you from a hillside, with their rifle. Me neither. I think we agree, that could be a very scary thing. Rude, in fact.

So, I'm not suggesting that it's okay to point a scoped rifle at another human, or even cattle, for instance. I think there are any number if circumstances where it can be perfectly safe.

Gun writers don't influence every action I take in the woods. Nice advice, use it wisely, that's the key word, but it certainly is not graven in stone. I listen to good, well intentioned advice, and take it into consideration. I don't, however, follow it blindly.

That's my story; I know we are getting a little side tracked, sorry about that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good hunting. LB