Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Big Eyes Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2002, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

Big Eyes Pics

Hi guys, searched hi and lo and couldn't find any pics of a set a BigEyes (B&l, Swift, Kowa). If anyone has them handy could you please shoot them over to me (no pun intended!) or post them please.

Thanks

True Eyes
verrocchio100@aol.com
Old 11-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: Big Eyes Pics

These are off the RW hart web site

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: crow mag ]
Old 11-25-2002, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

I have this exact setup that DC put together. My sister and I just got back this eve from watching 3 eight points and a doe at our 500yd feeder with them. I cannot put into words how comfortable and neat it is watching game, clearly, and fatigue-free with these. So glad I got them. One other thing you will really want is a VERY good tripod to hold them. I lucked on to a very good GITZA pod for mine and they are a joy.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks to all that have replied, the info that was provided was most useful.

Another question: Has anyone tried using another model other than Spacemaster in the bracket? I have a B&L Elite that I can replace the zoom eyepiece with a fixed power but I would hate to give it up unless it can be mounted. Any info is again, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

True Eyes
Old 11-26-2002, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Jerry Phillips in PA makes all kinds of big eyes set ups with different scopes. At nationals in NC he had small back pack models with small weavers, swifts, kiowa etc. Just about any model you can think of. He has got a new 80mm swift model bigeyes that you can see 6.5 bullet holes in the blace on targets at 1000 yards, unbelievable clarity at a nominal fee of about $1500-1600. Do not have his phone number here, but he advertises in the PA 1000 yard clubs paper so anyone there has it.

BH
Old 11-26-2002, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

As far as comparing astronomy binocs to big eyes.... first you need to define the requirement. If for dear at 700 or less, regular binocs suffice. For finding the top of heads of groundhogs in beans at 700 and above, good Big Eyes. Even the best binocs available, the Zeiss 20 x 60 are short for fullfilling that need and cost $4500 as well.

I would be very wary of an "Astronomy{" scope for terrestial use and HAVE to see it first.
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 11-27-2002, 12:31 AM
Gold Member

Ok, dumb question here: For those of us w/ less than unlimited $$$ to spend on a dedicated heavy duty spotting rig, how much realistic difference is there btwn one of these setups w/ two spotting scopes in a bracket, and a set of the better 20x or so 'astronomy' binocs? Both mount to a tripod and give you the ability to view the target w/ both eyes instead of one. Obviously the binocs probably won't be on a par w/ the $1600 top-o-the-line scope setups, but I'd think they'd be close to the smaller units, and less money to boot.

Yes, no, maybe?

Monte