Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

best twilight scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Silver Member
Re: best twilight scope?

stoke, if you're interested, you may want to check out an article I wrote for Huntseeks, a couple years ago. It gives you a more complete overview.;f=7;t=000003

Good hunting. LB

Unread 10-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

stoke& LB,
I can see what you are talking about, a few
of us got a little side tracked from the main
topic, but we were trying to help stoke out.
On the other hand USAOPTICS-NET came
swinging in I'm TARZAN KING KING KING of the
JUNGLE chill just a little.
p.s.transmit dont gather
Unread 10-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

Stoke ,
If I had to hazard a guess I'd say there is a lot more shooting done at night here in Australia than in the U.S.A. .I have shot literally thousands of feral and pest animals at night myself and there are plenty around here that have done a lot more than I .
IMHO whilst no doubt there are better scopes than Leupold around if you can't see well enough with your Leupold Vari X 111 then you need a better light not a better scope . The good thing about lights is that they are a lot cheaper than scopes . Have a look at the Lightforce range , far and away the most popular brand here . They are extremely light , yet robust , can be bought with remote vehicle mounts or scope mounts , battery packs and colour filters for light - sensitive species . Go with a 140 or 170mm model if scope mounting , otherwise 240mm .They are made here in Australia and are associated with the same people that make Nightforce scopes. Definitely available in the U.S. too .Here is their website :-
FYI many of the professional fox and kangaroo shooters here use good european (Swarovski , Kahles , Zeiss , Pecar , S and B , Docter) fixed 8 x 56 scopes . I use a 6.5 - 20 x 50 VX111 using the low powers for target acquisition and the higher powers for long shots . It works very well with a good light .
Illuminated reticles seem to be taking off here but I've never used one so can't comment on them .

[ 10-06-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]
Unread 10-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

I'll put in a vote or two for Nightforce! The very best is US Optics.

The gentlemen shouting about IOR...that's all he sells for scopes. Maybe he just likes them so much he decided to start selling them?
Unread 10-06-2004, 10:29 AM

Aussie, thanks for the tip. I'm interested in the light force lights. On the battery operated corded model, how long does the battery last before it needs to be recharge?
Unread 10-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

Listen to what Aussie is saying, for he is very correct on those night lights. I have been using two different models since 1994 for hunting coyotes.
These lights are superand I just use a 12v 12 amp SL battery (rechargable) and it works fantastic.
Coyote Hunter
West Coast of Washington
Unread 10-07-2004, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Stoke ,
Sorry , can't help with that one . Bearing in mind that Watts divided by Volts = Amps of draw the people at lightforce should be able to give you a good indication . Will also depend on how long and often you run at full power of course . Maybe better to go with a less powerful globe as with modern technology good 50 watt globes aren't far behind 100's .
I connect my light to the vehicle battery as most night shooting here is done from a vehicle . Often a long way between targets and may cover 60 miles or more in a 3-4 hour shoot .