Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best tactical scope rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best tactical scope rings?

I've use a couple sets of the Weaver tac rings and they've been treating me good and I'm brutal on them, the scope on one rifle get taken of a few times a month and I'm not dainty with it in the field either.
The Burris rings have a good reputation, I would think something went wrong with the install or you got a bum one.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Guess I would second the motion to buy a torque wrench. The only time I've managed to break the very same bolt was when I didn't have a torque wrench. Purchased a Seekonk...65 inch pound model.....smooth sailing ever since. With out it...a guy could over torque any brand of ring and break the bolt.

You invested a fair amount of money in that PST scope....for a young person....Taking care of it would include getting really decent rings. Guess I'd try and save as much as I could....like someone else said buy once, cry once.

Wayne
Old 08-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

TPS are pretty hard to beat for the money. I mean Really hard to beat. I have leupold mk4s on o.e rifle and TPS on 2 others and wish I would have found TPS sooner.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM

I have Seekins 20 MOA base and medium rings on my Savage 10flp, they take a lick in and keep on ticking! I'm really happy with the quality and durability for the price!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

OP, I can appreciate your position, first things first, get your originals replaced, I have beaten the living dog snot out of my XTR's, I'm pretty confident in them. If you aren't so sure about them, Start looking at the classifieds here, every once in a while you can get an outstanding deal on high end used but not abused equipment.

Start searching torque wrenches as a couple of us have said, the last one mentioned I don't have experience with, Borka makes a suprisingly good little unit that can be picked up pretty cheap, I'm running Snap-On but at >$200 ea, they aren't for everyone. Torque wrenches really are worth it, I don't know how I got so far w/o one...

Let us know how the store/Burris treat you on your rings, i'd like to hear.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

To be honest, I am not clear on what makes the Rings "Tactical".

So take this as you will, Warne Rings have been very good for me with no issues whatsoever and they are reasonable as compared to most.

They are on all my rifles now.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

1+ on TPS rings & base. Just FYI if its man made it can and will fail for some one Aircraft engines are inspected and put through extensive testing and cost into the millions & some times one just fails. Good Luck