Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best spotting scope under $350, Leupold, Zhumell, Minox...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Best spotting scope under $350, Leupold, Zhumell, Minox...?

I just found out that I get about 35% discount off MSRP from my employer on Leupold. I just bought a Zhumell 20-60x80mm Angled Spotting Scope for $210 and am trying to decide if I should return it. I can get the below with my discount from work.

SX-1 Ventana 15-45x60mm Angled Black for $225

SX-1 Ventana 20-60x80mm Angled Black for $350

Golden Ring 15-30x50mm Compact for $300

Even considering my discounted pricing, should I be looking at other scopes under $350 such as Minox MD 50? My main desired use is spotting holes in paper at 300+ yds. I usually carry my DSLR with a 50-500mm zoom lens in the field.

Last edited by LandToSea; 12-30-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Best spotting scope under $350, Leupold, Zhumell, Minox...?

I have the 62ed and am very happy with it but the 50 is probably going to be a lttle weak at that distance. For a light backpacking scope it's good. It's a 16-30 x 50.

Minox - Camera Land NY
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Bronze Member

I just bought the redfield 20-60x60 a couple of days ago. I havent taken it to the range yet, but me and a buddy were lookin at gutter nails at 300yds yesterday, if that helps you at all!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 PM

I may be good with the Zhumell? I unpacked it and took it outside and was able to count pine needles on top of a ~60' tree that was about 300+yds away. Maybe my eye is not as discerning as the optic aficionados, but in today's very dreary grey sky the glass seemed plenty bright all the way until dusk. It is also as clear as can be imo. Until I test at the range I will not know but I think I am good with the $210 deal and do not need to spend 2-10x the money? I really cant imagine it getting much better and I am an advanced level photographer so my lens clarity expectations are high.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandToSea View Post
I may be good with the Zhumell? I unpacked it and took it outside and was able to count pine needles on top of a ~60' tree that was about 300+yds away. Maybe my eye is not as discerning as the optic aficionados, but in today's very dreary grey sky the glass seemed plenty bright all the way until dusk. It is also as clear as can be imo. Until I test at the range I will not know but I think I am good with the $210 deal and do not need to spend 2-10x the money? I really cant imagine it getting much better and I am an advanced level photographer so my lens clarity expectations are high.
I havent heard of zhumell but if you think the glass is good and you are a photo guy then Im super impressed for $210. If it is that good you just found the bargain of the millenia. The gold ring you mentioned would probly be the best VALUE of what you listed. The other two are probly built in the same place as the zhumell. The gold ring seems pretty cheap and would makew a good liteweight shortrange spotter especially if it isnt too windy.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttyt View Post
I just bought the redfield 20-60x60 a couple of days ago. I havent taken it to the range yet, but me and a buddy were lookin at gutter nails at 300yds yesterday, if that helps you at all!

The wind blew and the .... flew! I must say I doubt that statement EXCEEDINGLY!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
I havent heard of zhumell but if you think the glass is good and you are a photo guy then Im super impressed for $210. If it is that good you just found the bargain of the millenia. The gold ring you mentioned would probly be the best VALUE of what you listed. The other two are probly built in the same place as the zhumell. The gold ring seems pretty cheap and would makew a good liteweight shortrange spotter especially if it isnt too windy.
The Zhumell was mentioned in a thread at thehighroad which compared it to the Konus but slightly better glass so I gambled and ordered before finding out that I got the leupold discount a couple days later, lol!

20-60x80mm Angled Spotting Scope | Zhumell

Time will tell, but so far I am impressed. I would get the Gold Ring if I could afford more than the 15-30x

Last edited by LandToSea; 12-30-2012 at 10:01 PM.