Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

BEST SCOPE & MOUNTS FOR LRH ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

BEST SCOPE & MOUNTS FOR LRH ?

I've done a search and have not found a discussion about scope mounts. I'm having a 280 Ackley on a Ultra Light action made for sheep hunting. I'm looking for the best and lightest scope and mounts to use. I'm considering getting the Leupold Custom Shop to making a bullet drop reticle for my rifle's ballistics. I want this to be a very light weight long range mountain rifle. Please give me any recommendatios you may have for a scope as well as mounts. I'm also going to replace the optics on a 7 STW and a 264 Win Mag that are made on 700 actions. These will be my leap into long range hunting. I'm a new guy. I will look to these rifles to be 800 to 1000 yard rigs for elk and deer. I have seen the discussions on this forum about dialing in the drop vs. drop comp reticles. I think I am leaning toward the BDC reticle for the simplicity. I will appreciate any input that y'all can give for scopes, reticles, and mounts on these rifles also. Thanks.
Paul
Old 01-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BEST SCOPE & MOUNTS FOR LRH ?

For sheer weight savings the Tally one piece ring base combo is hard to beat and they are pretty darn strait to.
Darrel Holland also makes a one piece unit thats supposed to be pretty nice.
Unless your looking for a Big tactical style then the Badger alloy rings and bases and the rings and bases from Glen Seekins would be the way to go , they'll be a good bit heavier than the Talley setup but they offer the robust military style