Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best Scope For Big Game Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2004, 03:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Best Scope For Big Game Rifle

This sounds like I need to check into one. There is a gunshop in town that sells this brand and I'll go and see a model that is available now with the system you were after them to put into the 3x9 to see what has got you so big on it for and if I like it half as much as you do, I could order one/ Mid summer would be long, but worth the wait. Any idea the street price for each model you spoke of? Do they have A.O. ? Do I want an A.O. scope also? Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-25-2004, 04:02 AM
Gold Member

I have to say that $1000 buys a lot of scope!!

Wapiti13's recommendation of the Swaro A-Line sounds good to me. I don't own one, but have drooled, or I mean admired them at stores and ranges for some time now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Under a grand to boot! A great scope for a fraction of the price of a Swaro PH, Zeiss Diavari, S&B, etc.

I prefer 30mm tubes. But, I have owned many 1" tubed scopes and have loved them as well...sakofan..Good luck and Merry Christmas to all!!

dime, where do you live in NC?? I live in Dallas.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:05 AM
Bronze Member

Totally off the subject, but how do you like the.284? Is it a stock .284 in a custom gun or is the .284 a modification for you? I am really thinking I want to shoot a 140 grain 7 mm bullet at about 3000 fps and a 7mm / 08 almost makes it and a .280 AI does, but I would prefer a short action. The titanium 700 does not come in .280, only .270 and I have been told that can not be fixed by a barell change. They do make it in the 7 MM /08
Old 12-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

There is no reason you can't rebarrel the titanium for any cartridge that will work in a long action. Whoever told you that 280 won't work is BSin'g you.

But I don't think there is enough weight savings vs a normal action to be worth that amount of money. The weight savings Rem lists, is due to the stock and barrel contour.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2004, 11:30 AM

I'll tell you. I own a few Leupolds and just recently bought a couple of nikon Monarchs. I think the Nikons have better resolution.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Bronze Member

What they told me was that a .270 can not be used to make a .280 (and I a very vague on this) chamber action becuace there is one particular dimension that was put in to keep people from accidently loading .270 in their .280 gun and blowing themselves up. Seems this is one of the few cases this is a situation from a simple rechambering that does not work, but I hope you are right. A very respected gunsmith that does tactical and hunting rifles told me.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

My 284 is a custom rifle built on the short 700 Titanium. 22.3" Douglas barrel with a Lone Wolf stock. Custom benchrest chamber with slightly more clearance in the neck area. I can get 3000 fps with the 140 Barnes X bullet with 3/4" accuracy.
The 1" Swarovski does not come with an AO until you get into the 6X18X50 version (too big for my hunting rifle). But the parallax is not a real problem with the constant 3.5" eye relief and mounting the stock consistently. Being a European scope, parallax is corrected at 100 meters. I usually send the scope in to the factory to have parallax set out to 150 meters. Have not seen a real problem making hits at 400-600 yd range. Your dealer should have a 3X10 or some other size with the TDS reticle. You can adjust your MPBR to have the TDS work for any load in the velocity you're talking about. You can go on the Swarovski website to read about the TDS reticle system. Website is out of date, so don't believe everything you see about reticles. Clarity and brightness of the Swarovski scopes are well worth the cost (around $800.00 discounted thru Cabela, etc.).