Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best Rings and Bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 PM

Best Rings and Bases

I have always used Leupold but was looking at Talley and Ken Farrell. Does anyone have an opinion?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Rings and Bases

I choose bases depending on the rifle and its purpose. For long range rifles I like either Near MFG. or Nightforce bases and like to use NF rings the best. I just put a Ken Ferrel on my new 6mm br build. Nice base but it tall as hell. I dont know why the make them so tall. I used NF lowest .885 rings and still would like to be a bit lower.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I choose bases depending on the rifle and its purpose. For long range rifles I like either Near MFG. or Nightforce bases and like to use NF rings the best. I just put a Ken Ferrel on my new 6mm br build. Nice base but it tall as hell. I dont know why the make them so tall. I used NF lowest .885 rings and still would like to be a bit lower.

Jeff
+1 on that. I'm still looking for the ideal setup and it gets pricey trying to figure it out. I have a 20 MOA Farrel base on a 308 with low TPS rings, and it's still too high. I'm going to try the TPS super low but looks like the bell will still be 1/4" above bbl. I also have a TPS 20 MOA base on my RUM with the TPS low rings, this is pretty close but the super lows will probably be about right. I bought my TPS stuff from Brownells, they have low, med, and high rings but don't stock the super lows so I didn't know they were an option. Go figure, 3 out of 4 sizes.

For a lightweight hunting/pack rifle, I like the Talley one piece lightweight ring/mounts. These are stable and weigh next to nothing. They definately serve their purpose.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

I'm like Broz in that I choose bases/rings depending on the rifle. Not all mount/ring setups are available for every rifle.
On my Rem700P in 7mmRemMag I recently put a STD Leupold Long Range base (51732) with Burris 30mm Signature STD High (420581) to mount a Leupold 6.5-20X50 LR/T. I origionally went with the Super High but didn't like the space between the scope bell and barrel. With the High's there's enough room for 5 business card's (.065").
This setup puts a lot of built in MOA into your setup about as cheaply as you can go. The LR Leuy bases are not available for every rifle mfg. though.
After zeroing the scope for 300yds, I counted the clicks left till the scope topped out and divided that by four to get the MOA available and after running the load data on JBM, I have enough "ups" to get to 1525yds with my load. Now, I'll probably never use it on the east coast but it's there.
Good luck with your decision. JohnnyK.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Bronze Member

For long range hunting with heavy calibers (338 edge), I like Near MFG bases and alphamounts. Otherwise, I use Warne Maxima bases and rings, both fixed and QD.