Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best rangefinder for the money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best rangefinder for the money

Leica 1600! I went the same route you are going so let me save you the $$$$. I also got the Nikon 440 ....then the Nikon 800 or 880 which ever is correct and finally got the Leica 1600 for I think it was $800. Save the 440 for slinging arrows. If you can't swing < $800 ( seen them cheaper some where) wait till next year and just get closer this year. That is what I would do. Good Luck.

PS: 10 / 4 on the Ski & Bow or whichever way the name is, hate to have to stop in there.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
The Leica 1600 is a good unit that will get the job done and is practically priced. While it's not just a rangefinder, I think the best value for the money is the G7 Br2. While much higher priced, it covers the cost of a weather station, ballistic calculator, cosine indicator, and rangefinder all in one and will very quickly range and provide precise drops well past 1000 yards. Besides my rifle/scope, it's by far the best money on LR equipment I've spent. IMO.
This is the correct answer.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM

If you feel like you're in a hurry to get something, eurooptic.com has Leica CRF 1000 on sale right now for 469, down from 599, to make room for the new CRF 100 R. I would agree that it could be a good idea and wait until you've got the funds for the 1600B, but in the 400-500 dollar price range, this limited time deal is probably the best you'll find. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Bronze Member

The ziess rangefinder is a great one for the money. It's a little bigger than the Leica but its easier to hold still for a longe ranging session. Mine was cheaper than the Leica too.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

+1 on the Zeiss I really the Zeiss it has given more consistent ranges and holds steadier than the leica.Also worked better in rain, snow and different lighting conditions.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
+1 on the Zeiss I really the Zeiss it has given more consistent ranges and holds steadier than the leica.Also worked better in rain, snow and different lighting conditions.
I was able to compare the Zeiss and the Leica side by side a couple months ago when my neighbor showed up at the local shooting spot with a Zeiss. My experience was very different, while the Zeiss was indeed easier to hold the ranges were less consistent and the Leica would range twice as far. Granted this was only a casual comparison in decent conditions but I'm really glad I got the 1600B.

Bob