Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,756
Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

Ok, I have a Swaro RF1 1100, Leica 1200, and A Burris B-1500. They will all range good in early or late day conditions. The Burris will range the farthest is all conditions. But it seems they all do 1/2 of their max range in bright conditions. The swaro and Lieca poop out at about 600 and the burris will go 7 or 800 in bright cond. Do I have to break the bank to range to 1000 or 1200 in the bright sun at noon?? What are you guys using?? Am I asking for to much??

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: El Reno, OK
Posts: 1,503
Re: Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

I really dont have that much of a problem with my swaro in the sunlight. Granted it does its best on a cloudy day, but it will still get me out to 1K or a little more in the sunlight.

I have tested pretty much all of the RF on the market right now and the swaro is by far the best with exception to the Vector, but if you can afford that then we need to become hunting buddies. Swaro is pretty good with there warrenty, you might call them and see if they think there is a problem

take it easy
steve
__________________
Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
www.3rdgss.com
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,756
Re: Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerch View Post
I really dont have that much of a problem with my swaro in the sunlight. Granted it does its best on a cloudy day, but it will still get me out to 1K or a little more in the sunlight.

I have tested pretty much all of the RF on the market right now and the swaro is by far the best with exception to the Vector, but if you can afford that then we need to become hunting buddies. Swaro is pretty good with there warrenty, you might call them and see if they think there is a problem

take it easy
steve
My Swaro is the older RF-1 and it was just in to them for clean and service. They did it free!! So mine may not be as good as the newer modle. But my Leica 1200 scan and the swaro work about the same. I wish I could try some of them in the field. Yesterday I could not get the burris or Lieca to range a 12" x 36" steel target at 800 yds.:mad:

Thanks for the input Steve.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,350
Re: Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Do I have to break the bank to range to 1000 or 1200 in the bright sun at noon?? What are you guys using??
Jeff
Jeff,

You only have to break it enough to fund the current model Swarovski. I don't think mine has ever failed to range 1200 yds. It will range farther than I can shoot at a big game animal, which is what I wanted it to do. It will almost always reach out past 1300-1400 yds under the conditions I've used it. I think I've reached 1700-1800 yds on occasion but I don't usually even try to range that far out.

Prior to the Swarovski, the Leica 1200 would sometimes fail to range sheep or terrain at 700-800 yards while hunting in the mountains. That wasn't good enough for my needs.

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,756
Re: Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Jeff,

You only have to break it enough to fund the current model Swarovski. I don't think mine has ever failed to range 1200 yds. It will range farther than I can shoot at a big game animal, which is what I wanted it to do. It will almost always reach out past 1300-1400 yds under the conditions I've used it. I think I've reached 1700-1800 yds on occasion but I don't usually even try to range that far out.

Prior to the Swarovski, the Leica 1200 would sometimes fail to range sheep or terrain at 700-800 yards while hunting in the mountains. That wasn't good enough for my needs.

Paul
Thanks Paul, Sounds like our needs are the same. What exact modle Swaro do you have?

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,302
Re: Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

My Bushnell 1500 will range a road sign at 1600+ yards in bright sun, after I got it I ranged the same sign every day coming home from school, 1592-1594 yards. One day I stepped it back to about 1650 and then a car pulled to the side of the road so I took off!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: El Reno, OK
Posts: 1,503
Re: Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??

the current model swaro is the one people talk about being the top dog. as far as the practical market is conserned it is the best option. the only negative aspects to it are possibly the aiming reticle, a orange circle. The circle is a little large for precision ranging, but you can overcome this by ranging the objects before and past the target and then deciding on your range. The leica has the better aiming reticle but it does fail in bright light past about 700yds, at these ranges i have also had a hard time ranging dark objects (angus cattle). I dont sell or have any experince with the Newcon but i have heard good things. as for the max range of the swaro, i have gotten ranges on cloudy days out to 1998yds repeatedly on a tree line. now this was in overcast weather on a big target. in bright conditions i can get out to 1000-1200 yds consistantly

IMOP go with the swaro, it ranges farther than any other on the market and it has a good warrenty department.

have a good un
steve
__________________
Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
www.3rdgss.com
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Best Rangefinder in Bright sun??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G7 BR2 (Ballistic Rangefinder 2000) rangefinder video intro Len Backus Long Range Pursuit TV, Gunwerks, GSeven 40 11-14-2011 01:48 PM
Newer Swaro rangefinder vs. older Swaro rangefinder goodgrouper Equipment Discussions 10 08-02-2006 11:09 AM
50mm or 56mm is it bright enough to make it worth it??? superlite17 Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 16 09-15-2005 07:45 PM
Bright Stainless BBL Iron Worker Long Range Hunting & Shooting 9 09-23-2004 08:55 PM
-----WTS DE 50AE Bright Nickle ; KZ45 BOTH SOLD Guns For Sale 0 12-03-2003 01:18 PM

Current Poll
Where in the US do you live?
West of the Mississippi River - 61.09%
928 Votes
East of the Mississippi River - 36.67%
557 Votes
On the Mississippi River on a houseboat - 2.24%
34 Votes
Total Votes: 1,519
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC