Re: best rangefinder?
just my opinion from reading posts here and using several.
1) Newcon 3000 - from reading here - only 1 report - spendy.
2) Swaro - From reading here - good - spendy
3) Leica 1200 scan - I own one - really decent - not so spendy.
4) Opti-logic - from reading here but no magnification.
7) Nikon 800 - shootin' buddy has one. the Leica is at least 2X better than the Nikon
Have ranged deer in CRP (tall grass) @ 600. Bedded moose calf in snow @ 505. ROckchuck on rock @ 425. It was a large flat rock the edge of which ranged 423 and was repeatable, hand held.
Other than not ranging as well as the Swaro the biggest problem with the Leica is that if not held out of the way the neck strap tickles your nose, really...
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!