Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best Long Range Scope???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Long Range Scope???

I use NF 5.5x22's, M4's , and Huskemaw 5x20's. All work well. The two Huskemaws I have used for a few years have superb tracking, are tough as nails, and the glass is as good, if not a little better than the others. It's also more compact than the others. I have had no luck with turret repeatability with the Leaupold VX3's or 2's in the past. The target turret VX3's are OK, but have to be tested.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

I have had good luck with my Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1. The Army Spec Version is friggin bulletproof!!!

It is not on a "competition" rig...so I am not worried much about the area the reticle covers at extended ranges. Also, it is a Mil-Mil scope...makes it VERY fast when ranging if your dope is good.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

I hope the OP is still not waiting for a recommendation as it was originally posted in 2001!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I hope the OP is still not waiting for a recommendation as it was originally posted in 2001!
Don't worry Feenix, it was just the rifle blog guy pumping his website. I have seen numberous posts from him and many were old ones dug up, He is doing it on a few different sites. Wonder when Len will grow as tired of it as some of the members have.

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Bronze Member

wonder how the scopes from 01 compare to todays, how much has changed/improved in the 10 years or so
Old 08-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member

That 2013 Long range scope buyers guide link was excellent. Thanks for posting it. I am getting toward the end of my build, it is a M700 SPS, 26" heavy barrel in .308 that I want to use for prairie dogs and long range deer hunting. I have had the action and bolt face trued, bedded and just got it back from the hydro graphic shop. Still have to decide on the scope, but you have made that a much easier step. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Best Long Range Scope???-2-blt-clsd-fl.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILtoMT50 View Post
wonder how the scopes from 01 compare to todays, how much has changed/improved in the 10 years or so
How much has it improved? Well, I'd probably offer you $50 for a $500 scope from back then, if that tells you anything?

The glass quality might have only improved a little bit, but pricision functions and anti-reflective lens coatings have come a LONG way.

Example: Look at window tint on new cars vs old cars.....Old cars it turns kinda purple and looks like crap, right? Well, the new platinum material tint has better light filtering & better quality materials in it, and when it gets old, it doesn't turn purple and fade like the old tint does, yet it costs the same as the old stuff did back then.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.