Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best Bino's your opinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Best Bino's your opinion

I say the 10x42 EL range..... I also live in AZ and use Swaro 10's, 15's and spotter but the 15's and are heavy so if I had it to do over again I would do the 10x42 EL Range and the spotter.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

I don't think you'll beat Leica. 20 years ago when I bought my first pair Leica was way ahead of Swarovski in clarity and light gathering. Today they are closer but to me the Leica's are still better. Small things like spotting things at first light and dawn are what set them apart from each other.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Gold Member

I looked through some Swar 10x50 EL's today. That was a mistake they made my old Binoculars that I really liked look way old and just plain boring. I will be doing a lot more looking before I buy but either way is either the Swar or the Licas . I was surprised that there was not that much difference in wt between the 42's and the 50's
Hey, I carry a 9lb rifle around all day ................so whats 35 oz's

nothing beat watching a really nice buck through some really nice binoculars....................its what the hunt is all about seeing them first.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Silver Member

Without question the best optics would go to the Swarovski Els. Mine are 10X42...Very very good.
I also have a pair of 10X42 Trinovids..They aren't quite as good optically, but I think if I had to fall on or drop a pair of binos the Leicas would come out on top of the Els every time.

Good point Greg.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
OTHER THAN $$$......what can a person have to say thats bad about the Leica's???
ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! BEST CLARITY GLASS OUT THERE.. I HAVE BOTH SWARO EL AND LEICA ULTRAVID.. SPENDING HOURS BEHIND THE GLASSES LIKE I DO GUIDING HUNTERS, ONLY THE BEST WILL DO!!! THE TWO ARE VERY CLOSE BUT LOOKING THROUGH PICKING OUT DETAIL, LEICA HAS THE CLEAR EDGE!!!!ABSOLUTLEY NO EYE FATIGUE, AND THAT IS ALOT ON A HIGHCOUNTRY BACKPACK HUNT WHERE YOU MAY GLASS ONE SMALL BASIN FOR A COUPLE HOURS..
Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

I see you live in the west, IMO all the discussion is mostly mute because no one is saying to get binocular with a built in RF unit!!!! I cannot begin to tell you how much better your hunting will be when you have the range under you finger at all times. I don't care that the glass on the RF units isn't as good as the non RF binoculars. sometimes you only have seconds to make a shot animals normally don't just stand around waiting to get shot. When I hunt I pretty much need to have a range on the animal just about all the time. with my leicas I am not fumbling around digging a seperate RF unit out then refinding the animal through a tiny monocular which seperate RF units have and getting a range that way. its basically is the animal big enough for me to shoot perhaps I am already ranging it while deciding, done. I have a buddy at first light last year that shot a 190 class buck over 30" and he will tell you right now the leicas made it happen, a split second longer and the buck would have bolted and he could not have shot with his bow. NO ONE THAT HAS HUNTED WITH A BINOCULAR THAT HAS RF BUILT IN WILL EVER GO BACK!!!!

so in my mind you have 3 choices, zeiss, leica, swaro RF binocular units. leica currently has probably the lowest glass, zeiss a little bulky and a tad short on eye relief for me, if I were buying I would wait for the new leicas split bridge model. if I had to buy now it would be swaro.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

I looked throgh many units before my purchase. (I did not see Leica) I purchased a pair of Swaro 10 x 42 SLC and have no regrets. You owe it to yourself to personally look through as many units as possile as diffrent eyes do perceive things differently.