Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

best binoculars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: best binoculars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaWildernessHunter View Post
I have Leupold HD 10x42 Gold Rings and think they are some of the best binos that were made for the money but I know from experience that they haze up when the sun gets onto the lenses before a Leica or Swarovski bino. This problem can last for up to 30 min in the morning and evening when the sun is really bright out here in AZ. The Leica or Swarovski binos can almost be dangerous if you pan to fast into the sun coming up or going down. If they still made the Leupold HD 10x42 Gold Rings I would recommend this to a lot of people. The new BX-4 McKinley HD binocular seems to be the replacement to the Leupold HD 10x42 Gold Rings but I have not tested them out yet.
Today I have Spoken to Swarovski and Steiner and they say that the Haze up issue is caused by the atmospheric conditions like Humidity and the raising of the tempreture and light reflections of the sun on the surface of the Lenses and although Modern coatings can help reduce this effect it can not be wiped out completely because it is a Weather Issue not an Optical Fault as it can be seen with the naked eye on bad days in the same respect as mirrage as it is mirrage and no matter what brand of Binoculars you buy Hazing will always be pressent, and as these two companies are two of the market Leaders I tend to agree with them, but ofcoarse on scopes and Spotting scopes the use of the sunshades really wipes it out because the Sun cant reflect on the Lens.

I'm please to get that one sorted, But I'm glad you raised that point because looking back on some of my Optics I have noticed it on the cheaper Brands NOT cheaper Binoculars ie Basic Steiners and High end Steiners both help to combat this,

John