Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best bang for the buck scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Best bang for the buck scope.

The suggestion of Leupold sure surprised me! At lease in the bang-for-buck category.

Best BFB I've seen for hunting is the Nitrex. I don't think you can get them on sale anymore but you might check Natchez to make sure. I see them pop up in forums for sale here and there. Flat out awesome scope for the price. Trust me.

I'd probably go Vortex after that.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossK View Post
I also figured that I wanted a ffp scope. Do zeiss and leupold have that option on a reasonably priced scope?
No. FFP is overrated in my opinion for hunting applications, particularly for anyone who is used to SFP scopes. Generally you are looking at, at least 200-400.00 more for FFP vs SFP even in otherwise identical scopes and having shot both A LOT, for most applications it's just not worth the difference in cost.

No scope in and of itself is going to make you a great shooter, and at the ranges you're talking about 600yds or less, unless you are trying to shoot prairie dog sized critters you can over spend and get far more glass than you need in a hurry.

I routinely shoot prairie dogs out to 500yds, with just a 3.5-10x44 conquest, and tons of coyotes out to 800 with the 4.5-14x44 conquest as well. The 3.5-10x50 Leupold was the only high end scope I owned for about twenty years and we took numerous hogs and deer out to 800yds with it on a 7mm Mag.

To me the quality of the glass and repeatability along with holding of zero are by far the most important aspects of a scope for general hunting applications and varmint shooting.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonv View Post
The suggestion of Leupold sure surprised me! At lease in the bang-for-buck category.

Best BFB I've seen for hunting is the Nitrex. I don't think you can get them on sale anymore but you might check Natchez to make sure. I see them pop up in forums for sale here and there. Flat out awesome scope for the price. Trust me.

I'd probably go Vortex after that.
Buying a scope made by a manufacturer no longer in business has always struck me as being a great way to throw money into a fire.

You may get lucky and have a great one that never fails, but odds are sooner or later it will and you are stuck with a pile of garbage and no way to get it fixed.

With scopes like Zeiss and Leupold yes, you do pay more on the front end, but you are also buying a lot of peace of mind because you know that 2-5-10 or 20 years from now they will still be there supporting their product.

When you buy a "cheap scope" you generally get what you paid for.

For the OP's requirements one more I'd suggest is the SWFA Super Sniper Scopes.

They seem to be the exception to the cheap rule, and as long as you buy through an authorized dealer like SWFA you can get the warranty work done if/when needed. They do not however offer the No BS lifetime transferrable warranty that you can get with the Leupold and Zeiss products.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 PM

I think I am willing to pay for the ffp because I want the capability of finding ranges using the mildot with any magnification and i also want to use it for quick bullet drop compensations on long range coyotes when i'm driving down the road and throw the gun out the window quick to shoot a coyote.

Does anyone know anything about the minox or ior? I know ior are a bit more pricey but i have also heard that they are an extremely good scope for the money. I have heard that the minox has the same glass as a $2500 zeiss for a mere $600, does anyone know anything about it?
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossK View Post
I think I am willing to pay for the ffp because I want the capability of finding ranges using the mildot with any magnification and i also want to use it for quick bullet drop compensations on long range coyotes when i'm driving down the road and throw the gun out the window quick to shoot a coyote.

Does anyone know anything about the minox or ior? I know ior are a bit more pricey but i have also heard that they are an extremely good scope for the money. I have heard that the minox has the same glass as a $2500 zeiss for a mere $600, does anyone know anything about it?
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
IOR is excellent quality. For that kind of money though you should just be patient and watch Ebay for a nice Mark $ leupold.

I'm pretty sure there's a camo'd 4-16x40 Mark 4 still on there that I keep seeing.

EDTA:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH...=p3286.c0.m282

If you are going to spend 900-1,100 bucks might as well get one of the most durable, clear, battle proven scopes ever produced.

I have some Minox lenses for my cameras, they are superb quality but I've never handled one of their scopes.

Someone has a Minox on the classifieds here right now I think.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Leupold Mark 4 16x50 with M1 turrets. Post a WTB in the optics section. You should be able to pick up a used one in the 800-850 range. Going with a fixed power scope also removes a variable from your shooting regimen (which is NOT a bad thing!).

Scope provides 140 to 150 MOA adjustment. Plenty to use for any caliber from a 100 yard zero to 1200 yards +.

One problme not mentioned about FFP (first focal plane) scopes, the reticle covers up quite a bit of the target at extended ranges. Prairie dog past 5/600...forget it.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acloco View Post
Leupold Mark 4 16x50 with M1 turrets. Post a WTB in the optics section. You should be able to pick up a used one in the 800-850 range. Going with a fixed power scope also removes a variable from your shooting regimen (which is NOT a bad thing!).

Scope provides 140 to 150 MOA adjustment. Plenty to use for any caliber from a 100 yard zero to 1200 yards +.

One problme not mentioned about FFP (first focal plane) scopes, the reticle covers up quite a bit of the target at extended ranges. Prairie dog past 5/600...forget it.
Ditto, and it won't do anyone any good on a running coyote because you can't use it to range a running animal as the range is constantly changing.

For quick shots you have to be a good range estimator and I find a plain mil dot or varmint reticle to be of far more value.