Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Best all around spotting scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2001, 05:19 PM
Bronze Member

Best all around spotting scope?

Gang,

For all the high end scopes and binos I have, I am ashamed to admit I am using one of those low budget Russian import spotting scopes. Does an OK job at 100 yds. at the range but obviously not the right tool for the long range work, or in the field.

I use Leica binos but think their spotting scope is really bulky..a range instrument only in my estimation.

What about the Leupold 12-40x50?

I know Kowa's are real popular for range work. They seemed to dominate the blackpowder silhouette competition I visited near Big Timber, MT a few years ago.

Anyone using the big 20x80 Steiner binos?

Thanks in advance, oh gurus of the LR.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best all around spotting scope?

Regular binoculars are usually not real good for day long glassing for animals. The bigger the optics the less eye strain you will develope.
Normally the type that are tripod mounted are the ones used the most.

There are many types of optics used, from the WW2 Military German and Jap to those we put together ourselves. We take two of the Bushnell Spacemasters, the Kowas or the B&L Turrets and put them in an adjustable bracket. I believe I have put together at least 40 sets of these over the years.

If the pics make it, you will see what is used the most.

later
Darryl Cassel

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 12-23-2001, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Check out the two Nikon ED Fieldscope models, in 78mm and 60mm. I have been using the 78mm since it came out, it is just plain superb. I have taken it on many hunts (arctic to mountain trips in BC) and the guides all said it was the best that they had ever seen. The 60 is also a great scope, just a bit smaller for hunting use.

Bobby Whittington and Steve Suttles at the Badlands Tactical Training center are using Nikon 60mm ED scopes and they are completely happy with them - those guys are looking at 1000 yard targets a bunch.

I have taken the 78mm ED to shooting classes and it just plain takes over, everyone preferres to use it including the Leupold owners.

If you like playing with toys the Nikon ED's can be used with a video system that lets you watch a 4" color tv monitor instead of looking through the eyepiece. Not as tacky sharp but real neat.

Can't compare this scope to the "bigeyes" that Daryll uses, but I can assure you that it is a great spotter.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:39 PM

I must echo Ian's words on the Nikon scope. They are GREAT. We have not had one problem out of them, the quality of the glass amazed me when I first looked through one, and with Ian's help, was able to secure some for BadLands.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:03 PM
Bronze Member

Ian,

Interestingly, I came across a very detailed review of the Nikon units at a site devoted to optics for birding. The reviewer raved about the 60mm Nikon. Is the unit weatherproof enough to take hunting?

Roger
Old 12-23-2001, 10:18 PM

Roger,
We use our scopes teaching classes in Long Range shooting. They have taken some serious abuse and been exposed to all kinds of weather conditions. To date, no problems with foggy lenses, etc. I am quite pleased with our Nikon's!!!!
Old 12-24-2001, 08:39 AM
Bronze Member

Any advice on who's got the best prices on the Nikon unit?

Roger