Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

best 24x bang for the buck suggestions please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Bronze Member

Re: best 24x bang for the buck suggestions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregw83 View Post
how's the clarity on the sightron at the higher magnification? This rifle will be used for groundhog hunting, so that is kind of important to me. I've used a cheap konus pro 6-24 on my 223 for years, and for the range you get with 55gr 223 loads, it works out ok. that is until you see a chuck run into the taller grass or brush, and know he's probably standing up watching you, but the scope isn't clear enough to tell Mr. groundhog from rocks, shadows, and clumps of tilled field dirt.
The Sightron SIII is the best glass you will find under $1000. With the 6-24 or 8-32 sighron SIII you will be able to put the crosshairs on a 1 inch target at 500 yards. I have the SII Big Sky 6-24 and the SIII 8-32 and both a excellent scopes.

Do some research on the SIII, a lot of benchrest shooters are using them at 1000 yards and comparing the glass to the Nightforce scopes
Old 02-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairflr View Post
The Sightron SIII is the best glass you will find under $1000. With the 6-24 or 8-32 sighron SIII you will be able to put the crosshairs on a 1 inch target at 500 yards. I have the SII Big Sky 6-24 and the SIII 8-32 and both a excellent scopes.

Do some research on the SIII, a lot of benchrest shooters are using them at 1000 yards and comparing the glass to the Nightforce scopes
+1 I got my 10-50 specifically for 600 and 1000 yard F-Class, and even at 50X it is very clear, i have no doubt the lower magnification models are just as good.

Lots of guys are using the SIII because it provides great quality for people who cant afford Nightforce orther top end scopes
Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

The best bang for the buck on a 24x scope is a Bausch & Lomb 6-24. They are a no frills scope. I've been using them since the mid 90's. I have 2 now. I have them on varmint rifles. One of them, the one I bought in the mid 90's has been to South Dakota almost every year since 95. It has no problem "resolving" prairie dogs at 890 yards, that's the farthest I've shot them with a 220 weatherby rocket. It's killed ground hogs here in Pa out to about 750 yds, in the dark shadows or in the open fields no problems seeing them. It's a great scope for the money. If you watch fleabay you can get them $275-$350. I also own Nightforce, leupold and March rifle scopes and a Swaro spotting scope. I have gotten to play with a lot of scopes over the years and I still feel that the B&L for a varmint rifle is the best bang for the buck.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
Old 02-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the info, any suggestions for a website with a good price on the Sidewinder?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

At $590 retail price the Rudolph V1 6-24x50mm with the T3 reticle is excellent value for money!

Specifications:

* 30mm tube
* +\- 90 MOA of adjustment
* Side Focus Parallax Adjustment
* Unlimited Full Life Time Guarantee

Contact us at: info@rudolphoptics.com
Old 02-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Special Deals on Hawke Sidewinder Scopes

Greg,

HighPowerOptics gives special deals to LRH members. I sent you a coupon code for any Hawke Sidewinder scope.

Other members feel free to PM me to get info on our latest deals.

For a limited time, we are including our Field Lens Cleaning Kit ($14.99 value) free with any Sidewinder Scope.

Hawke Sidewinder 30 High Power Optics

Field Lens Cleaning Kit

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent