Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Bedding the talley's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Bedding the talley's

Here are a few pics of today's project. When you bed your bases how much do you torque you base screws? I've done three rifles, it's starting to go pretty quick. I was surprised how much bedding material they took. Also I found another use for my action level. Keeps the action clear of debris during the process.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I do not torque down the base screws when bedding. The purpose of bedding is to remove stress from the receiver and base. By tightening the base screws to the recommended torque, you cure the epoxy with the base distorted. It seems to me that defeats the purpose of bedding.

I tighten the screws just enough to squeeze out excess epoxy. The best way I've found to do this is to rotate the screws until they resist turning, then loosen 1/4 turn, then repeat a few times until I've found the "bottom". I let the epoxy cure with the screws just tight enough to hold the base in place. If I had a torque meter on the driver, it would never register more than 5 in-lbs.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bedding the talley's

That's what I did, I tightened just until there was pressure, used a quick set, after it starred to stiffen up I backed off the screws.