Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

BDC Turret knobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2006, 07:46 PM

BDC Turret knobs

I have always been a holdover type of guy when it comes to shooting longer ranges. I read so much info on here about all of you guys using the mill-dot and the ranging recticles such as the NPR2. It seems that everybody on here is a 'click and shoot' type, and that holdovers are for newbies. Why is it that more people are not using the BDC turrets? It seems that it would be so much easier and simpler. I would appreciate anybody out there filling me in on what I'm missing. I plan on always having my rangefinder with me, so estimating yardage isn't a concern. So, if I set this scope up for my one caliber /one bullet/one speed with a simple recticle, what are the disadvantages to using a BDC turret? Why aren't more people using this setup for long range hunting? I really appreciate any information you can provide.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BDC Turret knobs

[ QUOTE ]
... what are the disadvantages to using a BDC turret? Why aren't more people using this setup for long range hunting?

[/ QUOTE ]They only work well when set up for one load's actual fired bullet trajectory at one altitude and atmospheric condition. Change anything and the BDC is no longer accurate.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Jody,

Good comment/question.

I don't think you're missing anything, at least no more than I am.

I'm a hold over fella also. Mostly because I'm a "hold over" from the old days when I had a duplex reticle and figured the drop at distances from the reticle center to the top of the bottom post. Missed a lot of nice bucks that way. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Since I've become serious with LRH/S [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] the next logical progression was the Mil-Dot which works pretty darn good (sux for ranging w/my eyes but great for hold over. I also use a LRF). The short coming for me is the lack of precision when attempting to discern tenths of a mil. 1/2 mil is straight forward, 6 and 7 tenths is a bit more difficult. .1 and .9 are easy, they are the bottom and top of the round mil dot respectively.

The desire then becomes the NP-8, TMR or NPR2 which is the next level of precision.

Regarding clicking, I realize that it is much more precise than any of the reticles but when there's hair in the field of view, my mind can't seem to keep track of how much to click where and "Damn, did I reset from the last time I adjusted" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

RE: the BDC, none of them are designed for the bullet/velocity that I shoot thus the yardages on the reticle don't coinside with the actual distances. Just another thing to keep track of.

My solution to the whole problem is get a cartridge that will push the bullet so that with a 100yd zero the bullet drops no more than 5 Mils at 1K. (Sweet!!!)

My scopes can be clicked and I guess as somewhat of a newbie myself I'll practice on "rocks" and chucks but for meat for the table I'll stick w/hold over for the time being.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... what are the disadvantages to using a BDC turret? Why aren't more people using this setup for long range hunting?

[/ QUOTE ]They only work well when set up for one load's actual fired bullet trajectory at one altitude and atmospheric condition. Change anything and the BDC is no longer accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the weakness of the system.Take my 300 win sighted in at 255 the correction needed at 650 yards and sea level altitude is 67.7". the same load at 7000" elevation needs 59.9" of correction a difference of 7.8". the farther out the wider the dfference
Old 05-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

just by playing with a ballistics program, I found that a 4" change in the bar pressure will cause you to miss the proverbial "broadside of a barn" at 1500 yds. I'm talking a change in POI of over 100". BDC's do not take atmosperic changes into consideration.The BDC's if you do your homework before having it made work well to about 700 yds, beyond this the everchanging weather conditions have to much effect on POI.
JS
Old 05-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

I make my own on excel, its a Piece of paper wrapped around turrent with clear tape looks good! you would be surprised) and good for 1500 yrds on the rum. I Put on a new one if I am going to hunt at see level or 8000 feet no games.
maybe I can put a picture on here later.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:51 PM

Thanks to everyone for the information.