Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 PM

Bases

A beginner question I'm sure, but I'm looking at bases for my NF scope, it's going on a Weatherby Accumark, and not sure if I need a 20 MOA base or what not. I was looking at the Talley bases and I have an option for what I guess is a 0 MOA and a 20 MOA. Can anybody point this beginner in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM

Re: Bases

Good luck getting any help/advice here Fredmb, you may get more help on other sites but not likely, I'm sure this attitude towards rookies is pervasive
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM

HA! Fair enough. I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks anywho.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Without knowing specifics on what you want to do what cal. shooting and such, it is a little hard to answer. I will say this I beleive and it is only my opinon most guys go with a 20moa rail including myself.

Welcome to site.

Dancrokett why the attitude?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmb View Post
HA! Fair enough. I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks anywho.
I am in the same boat as you, but from what i have been able to glean from the various sites is that you need a 20 MOA base if you want to shoot long range, 600-800yds. and more, because most scopes run out of elevation before you see the target. I think you need to get the elevation specs for the scope you want, then get the ballistics for the caliber you are shooting. from what i understand most bullets drop more than what most scopes can adjust to at long range and a 20 moa base gets you back in the ball park. Now this comes from someone who has never shot a rifle so take it for what it's worth!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Ahhh. That kind of makes sense. Thanks for the info. So much new info to learn! A bit overwhelming at times. East coaster originally so all I could use for deer hunting was slugs out of a shotgun and my bow. So you could imagine ballistics was not quite as important. But this is a hell of a lot of fun to learn.

So I looked at the stats on my scope. It's a Nightforce, and I have 27.7 mil of elevation on it. I'm shooting a .300 Wby mag. If I throw a 20 moa base on it, does it do exactly that, give me 20 moa more elevation to the scope? Any and all info is welcomed. Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmb View Post
Ahhh. That kind of makes sense. Thanks for the info. So much new info to learn! A bit overwhelming at times. East coaster originally so all I could use for deer hunting was slugs out of a shotgun and my bow. So you could imagine ballistics was not quite as important. But this is a hell of a lot of fun to learn.

So I looked at the stats on my scope. It's a Nightforce, and I have 27.7 mil of elevation on it. I'm shooting a .300 Wby mag. If I throw a 20 moa base on it, does it do exactly that, give me 20 moa more elevation to the scope? Any and all info is welcomed. Thanks again!
that's the way i understand it,

Go to you tube and search mil-dot and MOA, there are lots of tutorials on rifles and equipment