Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Barr & Stroud Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barr & Stroud Rangefinder

uncle b, ive been away for a few weeks due to ike. im just getting caught up on my reading. i dont know how long youve been around these rangefinders, but ive owned one for about 40 years. they are not the bullet proof units you think they are. many are coming undone due to lens seperation caused by glue failure. remember, most are 60 or more years old. lens seperation is very common on ww2 optics of all types. as for repairing them, only a fool or a qualified optic man should attempt that. your friends at duetsh optik will confirm that for you. with regard to my comment on distance being determined by how far we see hits. that has nothing to do with ranging distance. we always use a spotter who is using very good large tripod mounted binnoculars. when he says he cant see the bullets hit, we stop shooting. now if that statement reminds you of a woman having her period thats your problem, not mine. you see, only a fool or someone lacking in experience, would completly trust a rangefinder, a chart, or his so called ability to read conditions. shooting at prarie dogs on a dirt mound and seeing dust fly on the shot, isnt anything like shooting at a deer standing on a distant hillside in trees. youve obviously not experienced that or you would have known what i was talking about. and no im not the distance police. but fact is much of the talk about distance is bullshit. yes it can and is done on a regular basis. but mostly by those using a team of experienced people, using good equiptment. especially on shots beyond 1000 yds. rangefinders and charts are necessary tools. but only to get inside the ballpark. after that it takes ability.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
uncle b, ive been away for a few weeks due to ike. im just getting caught up on my reading. i dont know how long youve been around these rangefinders, but ive owned one for about 40 years. they are not the bullet proof units you think they are. many are coming undone due to lens seperation caused by glue failure. remember, most are 60 or more years old. lens seperation is very common on ww2 optics of all types. as for repairing them, only a fool or a qualified optic man should attempt that. your friends at duetsh optik will confirm that for you. with regard to my comment on distance being determined by how far we see hits. that has nothing to do with ranging distance. we always use a spotter who is using very good large tripod mounted binnoculars. when he says he cant see the bullets hit, we stop shooting. now if that statement reminds you of a woman having her period thats your problem, not mine. you see, only a fool or someone lacking in experience, would completly trust a rangefinder, a chart, or his so called ability to read conditions. shooting at prarie dogs on a dirt mound and seeing dust fly on the shot, isnt anything like shooting at a deer standing on a distant hillside in trees. youve obviously not experienced that or you would have known what i was talking about. and no im not the distance police. but fact is much of the talk about distance is bullshit. yes it can and is done on a regular basis. but mostly by those using a team of experienced people, using good equiptment. especially on shots beyond 1000 yds. rangefinders and charts are necessary tools. but only to get inside the ballpark. after that it takes ability.
I had quite a rebuttal prepared for this post until I realized after reading it twice, that yobuck may have made the worst post ever on LRH. I hope you are as sorry for posting it as I am for reading it . Guessing Ike was harder on you than I could have imagined.
UB
Old 10-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleB View Post
I had quite a rebuttal prepared for this post until I realized after reading it twice, that yobuck may have made the worst post ever on LRH. I hope you are as sorry for posting it as I am for reading it . Guessing Ike was harder on you than I could have imagined.
UB
actually, ike missed us completly. but since we left anyway, we decided to take a little time away.

certainly there is lots of room for opinions other than mine. in fact some ive seen on this site have caught my attention. i fully intend to try them.

but i really would have liked to hear yours.

other than how stupid we are over not completly sharing your views on the rangefinders many of us own of coarse. so call it ignorance on my part if you like. i only know what i was taught.

back in pa, there are alot of other ignorant but very successful long range hunters and shooters. in a few weeks ill be back there enjoying their company. yobuck
Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 PM

If anyone is interested in a Barr & Stroud rangefinder, I have a 500 model that I would like to sell. Ranges in yards. It has crystal clear glass and is in excellent condition. Comes with the military tube case that it goes in. Ranges from 500 to 20,000 yrds. Would like to get $550 for it. If interested, you can email me direct at brookster@hotmail.com or you can call at 570-713-5538.