Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Barr & Stroud Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barr & Stroud Rangefinder

uncle b, distance is determined by how far we can consistantly see hits. no point in having a 20.000 yd rangefinder if we are having trouble at 2000 seeing hits. the swaro. laser will read to about as far as most of us should be shooting. we have 4 or 5 coincedence rangefinders in our camp. they are not for sale. but they wont be repaired either. the way lazer technoledgy is moving, there wont be a need to.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

A laser rangefinder has a lot of trouble in flat sage brush. It also has trouble when the animal is back up in the shadows of trees.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

How accurate are they? How do they work?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
uncle b, distance is determined by how far we can consistantly see hits. no point in having a 20.000 yd rangefinder if we are having trouble at 2000 seeing hits. the swaro. laser will read to about as far as most of us should be shooting. we have 4 or 5 coincedence rangefinders in our camp. they are not for sale. but they wont be repaired either. the way lazer technoledgy is moving, there wont be a need to.
yobuck,
there are so many thing's wrong with this post it is hard to find a starting point, but I will give it a try. "distance is determined by how far we can consistantly see hits" WHAT ?????
I cant think of a sentence that makes less sense than this (unless uttered by a menstural woman).
"laser will read to about as far as most of us should be shooting" WHAT ????? are you the distance police ????
"they wont be repaired" why not they can be easily ???
"the way lazer technoledgy is moving,there wont be a need to" An optical range finder will still be in use by your great grand children decades after you and your lazer eeerrr laser rangefinder have decomposed.
I could continue but will stop here before I get red.
UB
Old 09-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How accurate are they? How do they work?
They are an optical coincidence device wherein two lens are used to compare the target and when coincidence is achieved then the range is read. One image is inverted so comparison is easier than with some other optical devices.

The accuracy of the Wild according to the manual is about 1 percent or 20 yards at 2000 yards.

For big game it is my opinion that you should compute your drop rate to set what error is allowable and to still have the bullet land in the kill zone. You will have three sources of vertical error to contend with: 1. The rangefinder, 2. Your ability to break the trigger properly and 3. The quality of the ammo you have loaded. At 1500 yards I can still keep 0.5 MOA with the 7AM under ideal light and wind but with just my normal hunting gear and laying out in the dirt. That error is for the shooter and the ammo. So I have used up 7.5 inches of the target just with me. For an 15 inch kill zone half of the allowable error is gone. The range finder must be accurate within the left over amount of the kill zone at that range and within the drop rate of the bullet.

The device is heavy and bulky and time consuming to set up so it is good for shooting spots close to your truck or else a static position where you can get all of your gear set up.

If you get inclined to shoot beyond 1500 yards then it is about the only game in town for under $1000.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Good info - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
They are an optical coincidence device wherein two lens are used to compare the target and when coincidence is achieved then the range is read. One image is inverted so comparison is easier than with some other optical devices.

The accuracy of the Wild according to the manual is about 1 percent or 20 yards at 2000 yards.

For big game it is my opinion that you should compute your drop rate to set what error is allowable and to still have the bullet land in the kill zone. You will have three sources of vertical error to contend with: 1. The rangefinder, 2. Your ability to break the trigger properly and 3. The quality of the ammo you have loaded. At 1500 yards I can still keep 0.5 MOA with the 7AM under ideal light and wind but with just my normal hunting gear and laying out in the dirt. That error is for the shooter and the ammo. So I have used up 7.5 inches of the target just with me. For an 15 inch kill zone half of the allowable error is gone. The range finder must be accurate within the left over amount of the kill zone at that range and within the drop rate of the bullet.

The device is heavy and bulky and time consuming to set up so it is good for shooting spots close to your truck or else a static position where you can get all of your gear set up.

If you get inclined to shoot beyond 1500 yards then it is about the only game in town for under $1000.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
SPONSOR

Well, with the Swaro, I can piece-meal determine range from my known typical shooting spot in 1k+ increments before i start shooting.
It doesn't give me exact, but puts me close enough to where dialing the rest of the way in is easy.
Second, once one is down a GPS is good way to determine distance from point "A" to point "B."