Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

ballistically challenged Tikka T3 Lite 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: ballistically challenged Tikka T3 Lite 30-06

I have a couple of the Tika T3 lites from several years ago. One is a .270WSM and the other a .300 WSM. Because of the clip I can't seat bullets out near the lands. So the bullet is always going to jump unless I treat them as a single shot. I have found that the Barnes TTSX bullets like to jump. My .300 WSM will shoot a 1 1/2 inch group at 300 yards w/ the TTSX. Only rub is the copper fouling. Accuracy starts to decrease after as few as 12 rounds. Clean it again ants back to where it should be. You might try some TTSX's and see how they shoot in your rifle. Might make a difference. Good luck. Bruce
Old 09-15-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrebel View Post
It's more likely your ammo. Inch groups are good but I do not think 1/2 inch is going to be a deal breaker. My tikka that I had in 243 was a 3/4 inch shooter untill I shot cheap factory ammo in it. Then it shot 1 1/2 groups.
I really disagree with this. I have shot group after group out of my 7mm Rem Mag with cheap Federal AMMO. All getting around 3/4". Cheap ammo can shoot sub MOA consistantly, I have seen it. Federal Premium ballistic tips shoot about 1.2 inch groups with that rifle Winchester Silver tips also shot about an inch +.

Now if I was trying to shoot 2" groups at 400 yards I would definately seek something with a ballistic tip and consistant powder that is designed to be Uber accurate and find what my rifle likes.

I am just trying to find what my gun likes, at 100yards I doubt there is .2" variance in grouping that could be traced to the ammo quality. I think harmonics/bullet stabilization with the rifle is the biggest limiting factor of accuracy here and not the quality of the rounds and I am troubleshooting a > .5" variance here.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

That one group does look promising. One thing you still need to try in my opinion, is cleaning. #9 does squat, there's nothing in it any longer that takes the fouling to clean steel. Use at least sweets, shooters' choice, mt extreme, wipe out, or bore tech. You have to get the copper out of the imperfections in order to let the next bullet continue to "lap" the barrel.
One thing about bench shooting. The rifle may like to be held tight, or loose on the bags. Somteimes free recoil groups good, sometimes a firm grip works. Keep trying.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 AM

I will be trouble shooting 4 things next time at range to narrow down what the issue is. I will start by shooting the same way that grouped well last time to verify I have a known good method, then take away each variable and see when the group falls apart. I will take away ONLY the listed methodology for each group, all else will be the same as the reference method.

#1 Referrence group, From sled standing behind bench, each round hand loaded to chamber, 150gr fusion, barrel cleaned before each shot, 5 minutes between rounds and 15 minutes between groups.

#2 Take away hand loading rounds and use Magazine

#3 Take away cleaning barrel before each shot

#4 Take away letting barrel cool, will take about 90sec between rounds due to cleaning between shots. will continue on firing after group #3 without pause other then to clean barrel. This way first round will be from warm barrel.

#5 Shooting from sitting at bench off of sand bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP40 View Post
That one group does look promising. One thing you still need to try in my opinion, is cleaning. #9 does squat, there's nothing in it any longer that takes the fouling to clean steel. Use at least sweets, shooters' choice, mt extreme, wipe out, or bore tech. You have to get the copper out of the imperfections in order to let the next bullet continue to "lap" the barrel.
One thing about bench shooting. The rifle may like to be held tight, or loose on the bags. Somteimes free recoil groups good, sometimes a firm grip works. Keep trying.
I don't want to change how I clean the barrel between rounds yet, but if I find that cleaning the barrel is what is allowing the tighter groups then I will definately get some good cleaning agent and try break in process if I can't get Tikka to take the rifle back and fix the issue.

Best case senerio is that just one thing is causing a huge impact on group size.

Worse case is that I find 2 or 3 things are causing modest variance that when combined create a large variance in group size. ie Chambering from Magazine, barrel temp, and dirty barrel combined cause a 1" jump in group size.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

I agree with the "best case/worst case" scenario. It would be nice to find that one thing that gets it to shoot. When it comes to my luck, as in my 6.5, it seems to be the worst case.
Keep us updated, I am really curious.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:13 PM

Extreme novice here, just happened upon this thread while googling, about my tikka t3 lite. I have an almost identical problem, my first two shots are right on the mark, while the third is off in the toolies. Any where from about two to four inches. It seems the closer the first two rounds are together, the third is also closer, but still off. I have tried many factory ammunitions from cheap to premium, even some hand loads all the same results. Better ammo and the hand loads have better groups, but the third round is still off. I have planned the same sort of tests. Shoot two groups all on cold barrel. 10 min. Between shots. Next, three "warm up" shots that won't matter, just to heat things up. Then, two groups on hot barrel. One other idea from a co-worker, the difference in groups would be between hot barrel and cold barrel. I don't ever recall shooting two groups in succession . Will know more by this weekend . Hope to here your results this week.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

I had a gameseeker once that I bought from camera land for like $60 bucks it was also a 4-12 model. it was a terrible scope, eye relief was so short it was tuff to use on my 17 hmr, the 17 hmr didn't shoot that great with it. picked up a bushnell elite 3200 3x9 and its minute of a golf ball everytime at 100 yards. getting rid of that POS pentax scope was the best thing I ever did it transformed the gun. I took the scope off and gave it to my 8 yr old and said here go play with it.

one thing to check is make sure your recoil lug is seated right and the action is in the stock correctly, which isn't always easy to do with a tikka because they fit tight. also I wouldn't tighten the action screws like a garilla.